Does anyone know how to measure yourself at home for a bra in preparation for your boobs exploding in the hospital when your milk comes in?

With DD #1 I went a few weeks before I was due and got measured for some nursing bras. The lady told me to increase my cup size QUITE A BIT - I thought I was a C before (maybe I was bigger & didn't know it) but she said I would need an E cup after my milk came in. (WOW!) Anyway I'm still wearing the bras I purchased that day... (it was 2 1/2 yrs ago!!) they're actually starting to get tight. :{ Tight both around my ribs and in the cups. I am 37 weeks. The bra shop is kind of far away and I might just go get a "cheap-o" bra from Target or something to hold me over until my milk comes in & I can go get measured for what size I actually am at the time. I just wanna know how much space you allot in anticipation of your boobs getting HUGE after having a baby.

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• in my opinion its kind of impossible but maybe a size up from pregnancy for at first then it will go down a little. really the only way is to wait but i got sports bras for the time being at first.
    MamaHardy2008

Answer by MamaHardy2008 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I ended up going to the maternity store anyway and they measured me, and I purchased 3 bras. They feel sooo good. However, this time the clerk (a very sweet 20-ish yr old) said right now is about as big as I'm gonna get. Now I know from experience this isn't true!! I figure I'll wear these & be comfortable for the next couple of weeks & maybe I'll go back after I get out of the hospital for a few more.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Yeah... they're already feeling a bit tight. I'm calling BS.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• It is not really possible to KNOW how big you will be. I have some maternity bras that are really just stretchy sports bras that work great. After my last little one none of my nursing bras would fit for 2-4 weeks (don't remember exactly). My ribs had expanded so not even the bands fit. I almost bought some new larger ones but then my ribs went back to normal and the nursing bras fit again.
    5mom0f

Answer by 5mom0f at 5:06 PM on Feb. 2, 2011