Who actually gets along with their MIL and like them?

A post got me thinking that a lot of women do not get along with their mother in laws. SO I want to see who actually gets along with them and likes them. I'll probably be a hated MIL if my kids get married LOL. Granted I will be nothing like my MIL or mother.

So are you and your MIL friendly? No problems?

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 12:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• my mil and i are very friendly, she's a little neurotic but it crack's me up
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I do NOT get along with my MIL, and never have, since day one. She was very judgemental and never gave me a chance, so she is no where in my life or my kids life.

I wish we could get along, but it's just not how it worked out.
    PrdWifeNMom07

Answer by PrdWifeNMom07 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We get along great, now that I've grown up a little. When I was in my early 20's I think I thought I knew everything and really felt like I was in competition for my husand, it was rough for me. Now I say - have him!! I've learned to let things go, and being a mom, I can put myself in her shoes a little more of how it might feel. I'll be a horrible MIL! But I give my IL's credit, they've treated me like their own since day one, even meddling in my life as they do their childrens!!!
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• we used to be great friends. ive known my husband since highschool and we only dated a short while back then but she always then that i was "her favorite". then when i re-connected with him years after highschool she treated my daughter with such affection, almost like a grandma. she was always very nice to me and when he got me pregnant with my second child and left for deployment, she allowed me and my first daughter (not her grandbaby) to move into her house, free of charge. she was always very supportive. then when my husband got back, we got married and moved away to where he was stationed. we went through a horrible family tragedy and things between MIL and i went sour. that happened 2 years ago and things still aren't the same, and i dont think they will ever be between us. now we just tolerate eachother.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I wish I did. It's just hard to connect with them. My husband's mom is just kinda mentally unstable. I don't know what to talk to her about most of the time. And his step-mom is okay, but very critical. So that makes it hard to get to know her.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I am friendly with my MIL. There are times where she sticks her nose into places they shouldn't be and thinks she knows what's best for my child BUT for the most part, I do get along with her. When she starts to act that way, I ignore her and do what I KNOW is best for my son. She can have her input but it doesn't mean I have to use it. It took a lot of growing up on my part but I think that is part of maturing!! :o)
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 12:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I get along well with my MIL. She's really nice, and helpful, and funny. However, I think that my husband needs to sever ties a little more. He wants us to move next door to her because we both work, and she's always been a SAHM, and he thinks she's going to come over and do his laundry etc (she will). I get annoyed with that because then he never learns responsibility for cleaning and the like.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 12:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It took me Alot of Years to Get Over the Nerve-Racking things my MIL did to make me want to pull my hair out- i am happy i did b/c we are now very close- i think they learn to appreciate You as a Mother & Wife as they age............

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 12:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We are friendly, but when first got married she had no use for me and said rude things about my family at her wedding (to my husband). I get now that it was coming from her own insecurity. After I had kids, things changed. She appreciates that I'm their mom and that I put up with her son. : )
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 12:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I actually get along with my MIL! I love her like a second mother, and she tells me all the time that she considers me her daughter, and a welcomed part in the family. She was in the OR during my c-section, so she could see her perfect and only granddaughter being born, we lived with her for a few months (no problems with HER, but that's another story), and I know that i can call her anytime, night or day, and no matter what, she will help me out, no questions asked. I actually spent the whole day with her yesterday, and we had a great time. We talk about everything, and we are actually more of friends than anything. She told me that she actually enjoys the time she spends with me, and she loves that we are so close... She knows i am honest with her, no matter what, and we truly love and appreciate each other!
    I love my mommy in law, like my own mother, and i am very lucky that she loves me too :)
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2011