what would you do

how would you handle if you child didnt eat anything at all really besides cheese yogurt and fruit. my 4 year old use to eat chicken and only chicken well within the last 3 months he has completely stopped eating even chicken. his ped.. said he is still a very healthy little boy. i am just really starting to get concerned since he isnt eating anything really. any one have any advice to help. i told him if he dont start eating atleast a piece of meat a day he will get very sick and be put in the hospital was i wrong for telling him that because it didnt help at all.

my2boysaremyall

Asked by my2boysaremyall at 12:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• If this is concerning to you, make him up a plate with whatever you're cooking for a meal, include the meat that you want him to eat, also include the something that he likes. Then he has to eat his dinner. Do whatever appropriate course of action you take when he would normally not eat his meal. Good luck.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Try not to say things like getting sick, etc. It shows frustration on your part and really doesn't do any good. Fix a meal and sit down together as a family. When mealtime is over it is done no matter what he did or did not eat.. We jumped through hoops trying to get one of my sons to eat when he was little and it is one of the biggest mistakes we ever made. Take away all anger and frustration. If he eats fine, if not, don't worry. He will not starve. You also might try those Happybaby organic foods in a pouch for snacks. They are nutritious and a treat. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• You may want to ask his doctor for recommendations for a multivitamin to make sure he is still getting the right amount of vitamins and minerals.
    MrsLooney

Answer by MrsLooney at 12:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• You cant force a child to eat, which unfortunately means sometimes they wont eat things and sometimes they will, offer but dont force. My great grandmother was an OB for many many years and told my mom, she will eat when she is good and ready and will be fine. I ate only cookies for a good two weeks but i was ok, i got sick of them and started eating normally again. If he wont eat meat, then give him an childrens iron supplement. The trick is not to be a short order cook. People wonder why their kids wont eat their dinners, because alot of parents allow their children to get chicken nuggets or pizza or something when they refuse the dinner in front of them. Dont force but dont give in, if he doesnt want to eat the meatloaf, allow him to load up on the side dishes or whatever is on the table. Sooner than later he will eventually eat meat again. The doctor said he is healthy and as long as that stays that way, no worries.
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 12:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• fruits and yogurts are gd for him if he wont eat meats try not to force him to eat it he may change and go back to eating meats
    Jocelynn18

Answer by Jocelynn18 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Our doctor put him on a multivitamin with iron. Other than that we just kept offering him tiny amounts of what we were eating.

Answer by Bmat at 1:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Try some kid ensure. Get him to help make something. He might want to eat something he helped make. good luck.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• only feed healthy things (not saying you don't) , i am a vegetarian (41 yrs of my life) and he doesnt need chicken. if u put it on his plate he may decide to eat it, but if not don't worry. kids do that all the time.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 8:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• my daughter is 5 and she still only eat 5 things and when she was younger I told her Dr. and he said she was fine. So I don't worry anymore she weight 60 pounds you look at her and you would think she is 7 years old. I give her veg juice, PediaSure and vitamins so I know she will be alright.
    jewel7575

Answer by jewel7575 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• see thats just it. he is healthy and i dont give in to him. he has to eat something though. he never ate any red meat he would only eat chicken now he wont even eat chicken. i dont know what to do the dr did give him a multi vitamin to help keep him well. my concern is that he gets sick so easy and with not eating and getting the nutrients his body needs then he will get really sick
    my2boysaremyall

Comment by my2boysaremyall (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2011