My brother having a STD and not telling his sex partners.

A question just reminded me to ask this. My brother tells be he is almost positive he has HIV. But he refuses to get tested. He also likes to sleep around and doesn't tell his partners he thinks he has it and he doesn't use condoms.
Now can he get in trouble for this or does he have to be diagnosed with it first?

I had to edit I meant he doesn't use them

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes, he can get in a great deal of trouble. You should report him to the health department. They will bring him in and make him get tested.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• How is he positive or sure he has it, how could anyone deal with not knowing anyways. I get tested for all once a year even though im not high risk and with the same person for years, its just that you never know and can never be sure what someone else is doing. This is actaually disgusting, what if he gets one of these girls pregnant and finds out he not only gave a woman but his child hiv? will be proud of himself then? Lowest scum thing I read in a while.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• By law (this is in Indiana) as long as he hasn't actually tested positive, there is nothing that can be done.  You can however, report him to the board of health.  I'm not sure if there is a lot that they can do but it's worth a shot.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• wow.... what an awful thing to do... I would report him to make him get tested. If he is found positive and continues this he can be charged with attempted murder
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• If he thinks he has HIV, why wouldn't he want to get tested and treated? I know it's not curable, but it can prevent a great number of things from happening, such as preventing the HIV virus into his healthy body cells, and reducing the amount of HIV in the body. Also, why would he be so selfish as to infect his partners, and not using protection. yikes! sadly, i would report him.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I 100% don't have a legally correct answer for you, just a hunch. If he's diagnosed, yes - crime; if he doesn't have a diagnosis, I guess he could just deny, deny, deny that he ever knew, and how would they prove reasonably that he did know? What makes him think he is positive?
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• If he is aware that he has an std then he needs to get in trouble for sleeping with people without telling them. A while back a lady got hpv from her ex-boyfriend and he was aware that he had it and she was able to sue him for giving it to her. He needs to stop having sex with woman who are unaware that he has a disease. Shame on him.
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yes warn them and to get tested for all else cause I am sure he hasn't been screened for routine stds either and men get symptoms less often, other stds are much more common than hiv luckily but hiv is still out there.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Buy a tattoo gun, in his sleep tattoo on his forehead "HIV +" Then 3 boxes marked "yes, no and maybe" Check the "maybe"!

No one will ever sleep with him again and the world will be safe from one more asshole.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I don't think legally there's anything that can be done to him.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 12:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2011