How do I get my dogs to stop eating their poop?

I was told to add pumpkin spice to their food that does not help I have scolded them that does not help. What else can I do.

marge59

Asked by marge59 at 6:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Pets

• Put listerine around it. You know the original brown one. Its nasty. The dogs don't like the smell its too strong, it also prevents them from digging, if they are doing that also. Let me know how that works out for you. It did wonders for my dog, when he was a puppy.
    Reggie2

Answer by Reggie2 at 6:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Your vet has medication that makes dog poo unappetizing. Your dog eats its own poo because of undigested meat.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 6:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i dont know that you can do to much really they are going to eat it if they want. why does it bother you so bad? they probably are eating other nasty things as well.
    Anonymous

• after feeding your dog his food give him pineapple as a kinda treat... it will make his poo taste very unappetizing so he wont want to eat it any more...
    Hope it helps u
    confusedanalone

Answer by confusedanalone at 9:18 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Our dog did that for awhile. I heard that the original cause of it is
    because the mama dog cleans up after her pups by eating it, and
    the pups assume it is food. Puppy see puppy do. We have an Italian
    Greyhound, and she is litter trained, so, I made sure she saw me
    pick it up, and I'd say, "No eat poop!", then I showed her that I was
    putting it in the poop can, and I say, "Poop in the poop can". She
    understands. No more eating poop! Now it is a big ritual to put
    the poops in the poop can. My life is so filled with excitement!
    Victory444

Answer by Victory444 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• HA! I have two Dobes and they BOTH eat poop every day! They don't get any food other than their dog food, so the meat thing is a mystery to me. Our vet told us that it's because something is missing from their diet. Well, hell, then sell me a BETTER FOOD, ass! ; )

Seriously, though, my dogs are 9 and 6 and they've been eating their own poop for years. I've never noticed any adverse effects and the vet says they're both healthy and fine. The best part about the whole thing is that it gives me LESS POOP TO SCOOP!
    TheDeeDub

Answer by TheDeeDub at 2:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• They have a product you can get at any pet food store called SEP-or Stop Eating Poop. You sprinkle it on their food and when the poop comes out it does not taste good to them.
    CavalierMom

Answer by CavalierMom at 6:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Give him a few piece's of pineapple after he eats for about a week. Pineapple does NOT taste good the second time around! He'll quickly learn poop tastes bad. I learned this trick in dog training school a few years ago and it worked like a charm!! it sounds weird but it works!
    Torty_Mama

Answer by Torty_Mama at 9:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• LOL! confusedanalone already said it and she's right!
    Torty_Mama

Answer by Torty_Mama at 9:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I have been told many times that eating their own poop means they haven't digested the food they have eaten. So commercial dog food is the problem. I switched my dog food not just becuse of the poop eating, but their health pretaining to the food they ate. If they aren't digesting it then it isn't the right food. Putting the pineapple in there food is a way to help but the real proplem is the food they eat.The science diet is a good food as their body  digest  99% of the food. So less poop and no eating poop. It worked for me , so I just thought I would give you another way to help. Good luck.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 2:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2008