Was your mother a good example for you regarding fitness? Was she active, and are you?

I must say my mother has always been active and so am I. I have been very fortunate.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 1:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• My parents were active in sports when my siblings and I were growing up. My Mom played soccer, was a member of a bowling league and a woman's softball league. My Dad played soccer and took up karate.

My siblings and I played soccer.

My sisters and I still workout on a daily basis. They are both into kettlebells. I'm more into my elliptical but my sister is trying to talk me into doing kettlebells with her.

Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Well, my mother never drove....ever. She is 73 & still rides her bike to work every day. When we were kids, family bike rides was our weekend outing. We walked & took public transportation everywhere. Although she never played sports, or ran a marathon....my mother was & still is very active. I'm glad i was raised by a mother who was always moving on her own two feet.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My mine is 75, bone thin and naturally healthy, flexible and consumption conscious. I am more exercise driven, but am not as naturally thin. My mom is tall and thin, I am petite so I watch it more closely.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My mom is probably in better shape than I am!! She walks pretty much daily and always has. She used to play softball anywhere from 1-3 nights a week. She runs in races. She has always been very active and tried to involve us kids in activities to keep us moving.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• No. My mom is not active and neither am I.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 1:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We can't get her to sit down!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 1:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My mom was a tiny little thing. Unfortunately, I did not get that gene. She was also a whirlwind of activity and never exercised a day in her life. She worked in her home, garden and yard until her mind began to deteriorate and it was no longer safe for her to be in her own home. When she died at the age of 92, she weighed less than 80 pounds. She was hardly ever sick and always wanted to take care of everyone else. She was an excellent example of fitness, in every sense of the word, and my goal is to be like her in that respect.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My Mom raised five kids and worked several jobs so she was pretty active. She didn't exercise or anything but she was always on the go and not someone who just lounged around. She has always been a slender person too. I do think I am as active as I was as a child and I am working on changing that.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 3:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My mom was busy, but not active, she is a petite thing and doesn't have to worry about what she eats. I am working on getting more active and losing some weight. Right now my kids don't need the encouragement to run around, but I know that will change.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• no my mother was very very lazy!
    janeosborne

Answer by janeosborne at 5:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2011