Pregnancy/Breastfeeding question. Serious answers only please.

While pregnant with my second child I had wanted to pump so that if their were complications we would have bm on hand. I was told not to pump because it would put me into labor. Since I was having a scheduled c-section I just did as I was told.

But now I am pregnant with my third child and though my milk has been long dry(filling back up though) I have started to question that doctor from my 2nd baby.

What about those who are still breastfeeding their older children while pregnant? Do they go into labor "early" any thoughts?

mslksdh

Asked by mslksdh at 1:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yes it can happen. Oxytocin does both start contractions and stimulate milk supply. It's totally possible to go into labor if you are pregnant and breastfeeding. Doesn't mean you will, just that the risk is there.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• i asked the doc about that with my second as well and she told me not to because then the baby wouldnt get the colostrom when first born. but i was thinking store it and give it when i get home just pump and store as i pump and give the first that i pumped. but i dunno about labor. kinda wished i would have pumped while i was pregant.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• A woman at risk for premature labor is advised to wean. Pumping is not advised in any event.... it works differently than nursing and can indeed cause problems. Colostrum output is so small, anyway... that it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2011