How many times have you take your child to the ER?

I had to take my son once when he was 18 months old. He tripped and split his lip open. Turns out he actually bit through his lip and needed stitches. He still has the scar.

kmath

Asked by kmath at 1:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Twice for our younger daughter, never for our older. Once she could not breath because of her allergies and had to have a breathing treatment. The other time she was about 3 and decided to shove a rock in her nose (her fingers were "puppets" and they wanted to store their stuff in her nose) and hubby took her in because we could not get it out, and of course she did this on a Saturday afternoon. Anyway, they had him close off the other nostril and blow in her mouth, the rock popped right out (and of course we paid a small fortune for the visit). LOL

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Well with my first it was quite alot. The first time was because she rolled off the couch and I freaked out. The doctor told me she was going to be fine since most babies bounce and don't break if they fall. The second time was when she tripped and fell on one of her legos, cutting her upper lip. And any other time was because she had a high temp and the place I lived did not have a Children's Clinic that catered to sick kids like the place I live now. So the ER was the place to take her when her temp got really high. And we were first time parents so we didn't know what to do. Plus my husband was hysterical in just about every injury she got, which I understand, but sometimes I think he made them a bigger deal than what they were.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Twice. Once at about 18 months, he fell and split his head open, they glued it. Then when he was 2, he had a temperature of 104 that wasn't going down with Motrin and Tylenol. It went up to 105.2 at the ER. He had a double ear infection.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• not counting the urgent care for being sick 3....once DS1 was 3 playing with his cousin got a board upside the head and it had a nail that went through his cheek...stitches....
    Once for DD when she was 2 Febral seizures
    Once DS1 last summer...this diagnoised him with Nocturnal Seizures
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• twice for the oldest once when she slipped in the tub and busted her chin open and the second for her foot i belive. she cut it on a piece of glass. once for my youngest she ended up admitted for RSV.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Unfortunatley my son has been there quite a bit. He would get horribly sick in the middle of the night and we'd have to take him in. They would give him breathing treatments and do x-rays. Always croup. After about the 5th time, I was able to get a referral to a pulmonologist and found out he had asthma and was having attacks. The 2 other times, he had Rotovirus and his fever was 106, ear infection and his easdrum burst. We didn't even know he had an infection, ha is autistic and doesn't respond to pain, so he never complained about his ears hurting. It was scary!
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Too many times. My one SS (who turns 21 today) was very accident prone. I think they had our file flagged. After a soccer goal fell on his head (true story, there are many witnesses) they brought in Social Services to talk to him to make sure the injuries were truly him being accident prone and not us doing it too them. He thought it was funny. I didn't.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My 1st and 3rd have never been to the ER. My 2nd has been there about 6 times- 3-4 were for bad cases of croup, 1x was for an accident and the last time was for a bowel problem.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• liuckily only once my son doc was worried he had diareah too long and may be dehydrated knock on wood thats it so far
    twiggee

Answer by twiggee at 1:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Zero. He's been to Urgent care twice though and only because it was a weekend and the doctor's office was closed.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2011