Do you think a parent can be TOO proud of their child?

I mean I am always proud of my girls in every thing that they accomplish and I'm constantly posting their achievements on Facebook for friends and family to see. I don't see alot of them cause they live two hours away so that's basically the only way I can share the experience. But do you think there's such a thing as being too proud?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 1:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Not really. But you have to be careful that your pride isn't looked at as bragging. Also you cannot let your pride be at the expense of another. Remember there are times to be humble. And humility is something kids need to know how to appropriately humble.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• No, I don't. I agree with tootoobusy that you don't want to be too boastful, and that it's important to teach your kids humility....but I also think that if you're not proud of your kids who is going to be??? Absolutely, be proud of your kids....and share in your friends moments with their kids as well!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Nope.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Hmm. . . . . Well, if a parent is blind to their child's challenges and, for a lack of a gentler word, 'faults' then yes. :) Parents that fall into the "My kid can do no wrong" category (I am related to at least one of those. ugh!) go too far. Parents that see their child as the 2nd coming and use there enlightened state as a yard stick to measure others against - perhaps.

Most people, however, aren't like that.

Being proud of your child's accomplishments and successes is good thing. Letting your child know proud of them -- and not just of their wins but also of the way they handle a loss, perhaps or learn something new from a stumble -- is a powerful thing. Taking the time to share those stories with others that care about him or her is a great thing too.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Well of course I recognize my child's challenges. There are things she still needs to work on like being able to dress herself. (She can certainly undres herself. lol) But when she reaches her milestones, or does things that just amaze me I can't help but wanna share that with people. A week ago I walked in on her reading to her baby sister (she's 3 her sister is 6 months) and not only was it adorable, but I was just amaze that she was actually telling Emmy the story!
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think when they are so proud they think thier child can do no wrong and is perfect because ussually that child is just the opposit.
    twiggee

Answer by twiggee at 1:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• if it's your facebook page, you can post whatever you want! If someone thinks your being boastful, they don't have to read it or freind you. I think it's great that you keep your family up on your positive things!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 1:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I agree twig. I don't think parents should set their child up to think they're the perfect child. No child is perfect and it's okay to not be perfect.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Thanks boobarand.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• No such thing!!

Answer by older at 1:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2011