What To Do?

My dd is 3 years old. She still takes naps, but lately she has been a handful to get her to stay in her room/bed and take one. She will run into other rooms, say she wants a snack, says she has to go potty, etc.. to avoid going into her room or staying there. She will get up 2-3 times as well, before she finally stops doing all this(about 30-40 minutes later). My question is how do I get her to stop doing this?

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 1:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You can try stopping naps. My daughter was like that and so I stopped giving her naps and now it works out for her. I don't have to fight her to take a nap and or go to bed at night since she is so tired by bed time. She takes naps here and there but she chooses when she wants to nap.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• instead of having her nap, let her have quiet time. this way she doesn't have to stay in bed but she needs to stay in her room and only play with quiet toys for an hour or however long you think it should be. my oldest used to fight me on naps so i started letting her be in her room and explained she doesn't have to sleep but she needs to have quiet time, and then it wasn't such a battle anymore. now she's 4 and half the time she ends up taking a nap for 2 hours.. lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I did the same thing as those listed above me.

She is 3.5 now and doesn't take naps at home -- she must lay in her room for quiet time -- or play quietly and rest, but no naps. That' ended our battles at night-time when she really needed to go to sleep. CHOOSE YOUR BATTLES! :-) Luck!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Mine did that too, so we stopped having "naps" and started having "quiet time." She could pick some books to read and/or play quietly in her bed/room. Sometimes, she even falls asleep, but that's only if we've had a REALLY busy day.
    Maisy19

Answer by Maisy19 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2011