How do you know when to take your child to the ER?

Bleeding that can't be stopped.
Very high fever.
Signs of concussion.

What else?

Asked by Bmat at 1:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• all of the above. in addition to broken bone.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• retractions
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Broken bones
    Eating someting poisinous
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• my kids are asthmatic if the meds arent working i take them in
    high fevers
    head injury that causes vomiting, confusing or for them too pass out
    and when ever they have a stomach flu( my dd always ends up being hospitalize)
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Broken bones, difficulty breathing, hives near the eyes, injury to the eyes or head, high fever or fever with other symptoms that aren't normal for your child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• How about if they pass out? Is this automatically a trip to the ER?

Comment by Bmat (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• If they needed stitches (and it was after hours at docs, I'd probably page him first though)
    Broken bone (although it's better to get into a specialist, and some will take you right away)
    Swallowed something they weren't supposed to be swallowing (neighbor kid when I was a kid swallowed a penny)
    All of this would really depend though, because our ER wait is so long, if they are miserable and it is not a life threatening injury,
    I'll page their pediatrician first, he's excellent at calling back within a couple minutes.

kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Anytime a doctor isn't available and I need reassurance. I'm not a doctor, so if I'm scared, I'm going to act on it.....with experience, I have gone less and less.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• depends on their age, if it was one of my younger ones you bet your bottom they would be in the ER with a panicked call to their doc...if my older ones did I'd call their doc first and see what he said.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• If they passed out I would call my doctor first. (there are always nurses available to answer the calls) I know some kids that stretch so long that they make themselves passout, that wouldn't require an ER trip. But it would really depend on the suspected cause.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2011