Am I a bad mom?

My daughter is 2 and a half and crossed a few lines today that I told her no to, she knew the answer was no, and did it anyway. So- I pulled down her diaper and tapped her butt 3 times. It wasn't hard, it was like if you give a light high five to someone. She freaked out because I never spanked her before and never wanted to. I didn't know what else to do at that point. She is crying my mommy is mad at me.

Gosh I feel awful.

Am I a bad mommy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, of course not. We all make mistakes, and do things we promised ourselves we wouldn't. Kids seem to exist to push our boundaries to the max and she was naughty and you just got a little over angry. And as long as it wasn't hard it's not that bad. Just sit her down and tell her that mommy got mad because of her behaviour but that you won't hit her again. But that her behaviour was still out of order.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 6:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• By the way, the lines were getting into the nailpolish by climbing up the ladder to reach it opening it up and pouring it all over the floor and onto her toes. (while I was doing the laundry) and then when she was in trouble in time out she chose to go to the bathroom and poured my hair gel (pricey stuff that she KNOWS not to touch) all over her head. These were the lines she crossed.
    Anonymous

• You're not a bad Mom, and in fact, it worked! She connected the spank with "mommy is mad at me". Good job!
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• NO! By no means are you a bad mom!! There is nothing wrong with a spanking now and again... It's beating that's wrong.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Pulling down her diaper was completely unneccessary and WRONG!! I think that was a Terrible thing to do to a 2 year old! A little supervision would have prevented the incident all together! Have you ever heard of BABYPROOFING!!
    Anonymous

• I say good grief to the Anon who claims that babyproofing would have solved the situation!! Puh-LEEZE. You can't toddler-proof every section of every house, it's impossible. And if you think yours is perfectly toddler-proofed, then congratulations. I'm glad to hear you have no problems with your child thanks to locks and latches.

To the person who asked this question - NO, you are not a bad mommy!! Merely hauling off and whacking your kid would be one thing, but this was a well-metered set of taps to let her know that what she did was wrong. And it sounds like it worked! You should not feel bad for disciplining her when she did things that she knew were deliberately wrong.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 7:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I don't think your wrong and she will push your buttons again and you'll do it again.A little advice to allieviate guilt a bit. Once you have tapped her butt and had her sit for a bit, sit her on your lap and say " mommy had to spank you because ... and im sorry, but if you dont misbehave again you wont get spanked again"
    jmdelan2

Answer by jmdelan2 at 7:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Ummm, how are you a bad mom? She needs to learn to follow rules, and you discplined her? YOur a good mom. Dont get yourself down. You may try telling her that your not "mad" at her, but that she must listen when you tell her not to do somthing. That when you say no, it means stop now, listen, and follow my directions.

Good for you mommy!!
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:53 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i dont think it makes you a bad mom... but "whoopings" is not the way to go... it doesnt send the right message... u dont want her scared of u, u just want her to respect you... next time take a away her favorite toy away or do a time out (1 min. for every year old they are).. or dont give her any extra snacks for a couple day... then explain... i am taking this or your sitting here because i told you not to do something and you didnt listen... you have to follow the rules :) gl
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Tell the other anonymous mom to F off. You did nothing wrong.
    Mrs.Bauer

Answer by Mrs.Bauer at 9:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2008