Are price tags really necessary?

In Michigan we have a law that requires retailers to have a price tag on every item they sell. Legislation was just introduced that would negate that requirement. Supporters (national retailers association) argue that because there are phone apps that can tell you the price of stuff putting price tags on items causes retailers unnecessary time and expense.

I like to know how much something costs before i buy it, especially at the grocery store where i do so much comparison shopping, and my phone only makes phone calls :(   

http://ipr.interlochen.org/ipr-news-features/episode/11855

Does your state require price tags & do you think they are necessary?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 2:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it is absurd and a waste.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I don't feel they are necessary if the items are clearly marked, and the store is kept clean. I hate walmart, because I can often not find the corresponding tag on the shelf, and things are often out of place. Thankfully, they have those little scanners you can use, but sometimes they are hard to find.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• And it's pretty stupid to think that everyone has that phone app.
    Candi1024

• I dont use a phone app when I shop and I doubt I ever would. If something doesnt have a price tag I dont buy it. I go somewhere else where they have them.

Answer by gemgem at 2:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Shouldn't that be up to the retailer? I think this is a classic example of over regulating.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 2:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I don't even have an app-capable phone.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• As long as the store provides ample price checkers it should be fine.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 2:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• sopranomommy, I think the issue is that retailer will often make something look like it is one price (for example, place it under a big sign, not clearly stating what item is that price) but when you get to the register it is another price.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• You can have the price tag on the shelf, displayed in many different ways, you don't need to tag every single tin of beans.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 2:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think it is absurd and a waste.

Answer by grlygrlz2

So you don't look at price tags at the grocery store? I am just shocked that price tags are a Michigan thing.

UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2011