is it un healthy to loose weight to fast

is it unhealthy to loose weight to fast im starting a new diet and my goal is 5 lbs a week is that to much

Jocelynn18

Asked by Jocelynn18 at 2:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• 2 lbs is the highest healthy amount to loose a week.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 2:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• 5 pounds a week is quite fast. I would consult with your nutritionist first.

I think the healthy rate is 1-2 lbs per week.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 2:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• The use of the word TOO makes it already a problem. Loosing 5 pounds a week seems like a lot, but this depends on how overweight you are.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Usually when your changing your lifestyle drastically, the first couple of weeks it's typical to lose larger amounts. As your body gets used to the changes, the amounts go down and you can even plateu (sp?). Change up your exercise routines.
    But like everyone else is saying, 2lbs a week is a healthy expectation, and allows for skin to shrink back as you go! lol
    Anonymous

• if you lose weight too fast theres better odds that you'll gain it back just as fast when you stop your diet. it's not a good idea I know it stinks but patience may be the way to go when dieting.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 2:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yes it is not a good idea to lose weight too quickly. Five pounds a week is a bit much. I would not do it without the advice of my doctor or of a nutritionist.  You have a better chance of taking it off and keeping it off if you set realistic goals. 

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 3:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• 5lbs a week is an unrealistic goal. 1-2 lbs is very realistic. If you want to lose 5 lbs a week you will need to workout all day everyday. If you do it slowly it is more likely to stay off. I started working out and eating better at the first of the month and I hit my goal of 4 lbs which I thought may have been to high for me. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• yes, you need to start off slower than that. like op said, 2 lbs a week is best.
    janeosborne

Answer by janeosborne at 5:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Only if you do it by starving yourself.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 6:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• You may have extra skin that hangs.
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2011