Can you get a tattoo while you're breastfeeding?

I'm wondering because once I have baby Layla I am of course going to breastfeed her but I am getting her hand print tattooed on my wrist with her name : ]
I just wasn't sure if I need to wait til after I'm done breastfeeding?

xLeeAnnex

Asked by xLeeAnnex at 2:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you should, but I don't know enough of it.

why your wrist?
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 3:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Idk, I think it'd be really cute there and I'd always be able to see it and so would others : ]]
    xLeeAnnex

Comment by xLeeAnnex (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I was told by my friend who is a tattoo artist if i could while i was breastfeeding and they said not to because it can get into your milk or do something to it
    mommy10282010

Answer by mommy10282010 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I would say no, cause your baby is more important than any tattoo..The tattoo ink will always be in your blood, and think if u have more kids they will always be drinking the ink. It never leaves your system, it changes everything. Even down to donating blood to your family or kids one day if they ever need it. The blood type and stuff changes. Imtelling you cause i have one small tattoo, and i cant help my family out cause of it...SO think hard about that one..Take care
    famsantiz

Answer by famsantiz at 5:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• The only risk is the risk of infection, and if you or the artist are worried about infection, I'd rethink my artist! Most artists will not tattoo you if you tell them you are nursing, but it's not dangerous to the baby. The decision is yours.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/2730203/TATTOOS_TANNING_PIERCINGS_HAIR_DYE_YES_YOU_CAN_DO_THEM_ALL

Here's some more specific information on the subject.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2011