Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

weight problem

I'm so very concerned about my 9 yr old he is extremely overweight and he doesnt like to drink water. I refuse to buy crystal light cause of the crap thats in it I do try to put lemons in water to make it nice. I dont have junk food in my house very often in fact I do have carrots celery apples oranges peanut butter graham crackers for snacks. I do have a big problem with getting my son to eat other vegetables,like tomatoes,onions,green and red peppers,and squash. Should I take him to the doctors to see if theirs other reasons for his weight gain?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Health

Answers (5)
  • If u do the doctor thing,just keep in mind alot of doctors can be insensitive and literally call him fat!!! Kids r very sensitive about their weight.

    Answer by dancer at 3:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

  • If you are doing all the right things on feeding him the right foods and he gets plenty of physical activity, it might be best to go see a doctor. It's better to be safe then sorry, right?!?!?! Like dancer said above, be sure to choose a doctor that will be sensitive about the subject. :o) Good Luck!

    Answer by alyssamal at 3:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

  • What about exercise? Weight is a combination of how many calories you take in and how much you expend - everyone needs to move. What kinds of activities does he do? How many hours per day is he sitting ie classroom, tv, computer, gaming, etc. I would make some changes to his activity level for a few weeks, combined with the healthier diet, and then go see the doctor to rule out anything else and to get further advice. (Even try a walk everyday with him to start if he is reluctant).

    Answer by LisaLulu at 3:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

  • get him involved with exercise program or a sport dont both with md untill you try exercise
    he will probably grow out of it

    Answer by 21lisa72 at 10:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

  • I would take him to the docs, it's possible he has a medical problem. Make sure he gets at least 30 minutes of moderate activity a day.

    Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Health
What's a more natural approach?

Next question overall (Home & Garden)