Do rose bushes come back from sleeping?

I planted one last year on Mothers Day,will it grow back? If so,when does it start blossoming?

dancer

Asked by dancer at 3:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Home & Garden

• yes, they do.

Usually you would cover the roots and about 1 inch up the trunk with leaves before the snow falls or it gets too cold to help them winter over better,
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 3:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• yes
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• They go dormant in the winter. I cute mine down short. They grow back in the spring.

Answer by louise2 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It should come back. Sometimes in a really dry winter, they won't. When it will bloom depends on several things: the climate where you live, the kind of rose it is, etc. Even if it appears to be dead after you think it should have come out, don't cut it down. Sometimes, the wood will die but it will still come back from the roots.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yes they grow back year after year.....I never cover them, but in the Fall i'll sometimes trim them back. I have several rose bushes that are about 20 years old.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Roses can vary in difficulty to grow. If you know the name of the one you have look it up online and see what they say. I never had good luck with roses, but they are supposed to come back every year.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Rose bushes will usually come back even if you don't cover them. My neighbor has one, and my Mom has one - neither of them cover their roses in the (Iowa) winter and have never had a problem with them coming back. They usually start blooming around May.
    TiffanieJohnson

Answer by TiffanieJohnson at 3:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Mine have for 6 years now :o) Mine start coming back when the weather starts to warm up. That's here in Texas though.
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 3:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• This rose bush is low to the ground. I did not cover it,will it come back anyway?
    dancer

Comment by dancer (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I would say our winter has been wet!!!
    dancer

Comment by dancer (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2011