Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anybody know how social services get involved in abuse cases? I'm in dire need of help!!!

When I was at my parents' house 2 nights ago, my 7 year old spit at my Dad, and he went to give him a swat on the butt, but hit his leg. My ex-husband flipped out, took pics of the "red mark" on my boy's leg. The next day at school, Isaak (my son) told people at school that Poppa (my Dad) punched him in the leg. Now my ex husband won't let me see my boys, and claims that the school contacted social services, and I can't see them until this is resolved. Nobody contacted me. Not even the school (where their step mother works). I live in Wisconsin, and don't really know how all this works. Any input or help would be greatly appreciated...

Answer Question

Asked by mapope at 6:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • When social services gets involved, they usually have to be called. They otherwise would have no idea that anything is going on. As far as your ex-husband is concerned, he CANNOT withold your son from you with out going to the court first. It is punishable by jail. If social services was called, they will contact you or come to your house and talk with you about the incident. My best suggestion is to tell your ex that you want to see your son, no abuse occured and if he refuses, call the police.

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • thediva is correct, only a judge can make an order that you can't see your kids. also, child protective gets a certain amount of time like 48 hours that they must investigate. your child would be interviewed, his dad, you, your dad and anyone else involved. after that they'd determine if the report was "founded" (true) or not. after they investigate, it takes a week to two for them to write up the report itself. a high percentage of reports are "unfounded" meaning no evidence of abuse was found.

    the school could have called child protective but just because they called doesn't mean that child protective saw it as a case they would pursue.

    like thediva said, call the police and have them help you enforce your custody order.

    let us know what happened.

    Answer by pugpin at 7:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • Social Services should be contacting you about what happened. So just hang in there.

    Answer by mshouk79 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • fuck the x go get ur kids

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • does your ex have sole custody? or shared? Do you have sole custody? If you have custody and CPS was called then they would come to you. Either way they would come to you. You need to call the cops and find out what is going on. The only thing I would see CPS doing is telling you not to take them to your parents house. You did not hit your son your dad did while you where visiting him. So you need to find out what is going on.

    Answer by jessicamelia83 at 8:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • Get a cop and go get your kids. He cannot with hold them from you with out a court order.

    Answer by SashaJ at 11:20 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

  • Social services has to respond within 24 hours of an abuse case for a child of that age. If they did not contact you than I seriously doubt they are involved. Us as mothers have a natural instinct to freak when we hear something like that. I think that he is using that as a scare tactic for you. Unless a court has odered it for you not see your children he cannot withhold them from you. You still have full legal rights until otherwise determined by a court. Even if social services was involved a court would still have to decide. You can go to his home, take your kids and there is nothing that he can do about it. If he is refusing your rights that is considered kid-napping under many state laws.

    Answer by soldierswifeof4 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

  • Only a court order can keep from seeing the kids. He is in violation of his court order if he does not allow you to see the kids. Although I would not go to your dads house for the minute and I would also contact CPS on your own.
    BTW, schools are MANDATED REPORTERS which means that they ARE REQUIRED BY LAW to report anything that could construe abuse (which in this case is a red mark and your son saying Poppa punched him)
    The school could me in more trouble if they didn't call than if they did so I would not necessarily pursue that line

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

  • It has been on the news several times that a court order is the only thing that can prevent you from seeing your kids. If I were you I would go get the kids and if you need the cops then so be it. They do not have a court order...Also when you have the cops come with also bring a family friend { not your parents} with so they can visually,verbally and to write a written statement of what happened when you got there. DOcumenting is the key! BUT go get your babies.

    Answer by nyteowl at 6:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

  • Just letting you know that most cops don't enforce child custody disputes if he is withholding your kids then you definitely need to contact an attorney now, if the department hasn't contacted you yet then he is in contempt and your lawyer can file a contempt charge

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.