When I start introducing foods to my baby, how often should I feed them to him?

I just started my 6 month old on baby food, but i am not sure how often i should be feeding it to him--I know to wait about a week between different foods, but once I start on one, do i feed it to him each night? every other night? I feel clueless!!

chaoshappens

Asked by chaoshappens at 6:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well i used to just put some in my son's cereal starting out so he could get used to the tase, and feed it to him a couple of days, only that one food, so i could look for reactions in case of allergies. after about 2 days, if it was ok, i'd feed him the rest of it, or i'd just give him something else along with it. that way if i knew if he had any reactions it was to the new food, not the previous one. oh and i used to give him cereal only for dinner starting out, then about a month or so later i started oatmeal in the morning, bottle in the afternoon, cereal/baby food for dinner. eventually i stopped mixing the baby food and cereal. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:22 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Start out slow, my son is 8months and still hardly gets any food. They don't really need food until 1 year.

We gave rice cereal once a week for 4 week, then when he still was spitting it out we gave him sweet potatoes the next week and we followed this list until he finally started swallowing instead of pushing the food out with his tounge.

Rice Cereal
    Yellow Veggies
    Green Veggies
    Fruits
    Oatmeal

After that we started every evening, then morning and evening, and now 3 times a day.

As far as how much, between 3-6months stop at 2-3oz at each feeding. After that they should have the ability to feel full with the food as well as formula and they will stop when they are full.
    ReachtotheStars

Answer by ReachtotheStars at 8:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I just started my daughter on Stage 1 foods about a week ago. She'll be 6months on the 20th. At 4months, we started her on the cereal. Right now, we feed her the stage 1 pears once a day at dinner time. Half the jar/bowl, then milk. I was told to put it in her bottle, but I didn't like that idea too much. Since it has been a week, I'll start bananas tonight. I think its really up to you how you do it, just as long as you don't overdo it. I think once a day will suffice starting out.

MzMommyDiva

Answer by MzMommyDiva at 8:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i started my DD a few weeks ago onsolids. we do 1tbls ceral and 1 tbls fruit for breakfast. i tbls veg for lunch and a tbls of each for dinner each night. bottles all in between. but when i first started i did all veg because of the allergic reaction thing. now i do each fruit for 3 days but now im able to mix up with the veg!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 8:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• When you start on new foods, to be sure your baby isn't allergic, you need to feed the same food for at least 5 days straight (at least once a day for five days). Then wait a week in between each new food. This is what our sons dr said to do and because of that, we found out that he is allergic to peaches. A reaction can take days to show up (as it did with my son). So take it slow. But by 6months, your baby needs more in his diet than just breastmilk/formula. Good luck!
    krockwell

Answer by krockwell at 9:20 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My ped gave us a handout when my son was 4 months old and we started him on cereal, then stage ones. Introduced a food over 4 days (you can do between 3-5days) starting with 1/4 jar - day 1; 1/4 jar - day 2; 1/2 jar day 3; whole jar - day 4. We only fed him once a day (then bottles for the rest) for about 1 month, then started 2 meals for another month. He just turned 6 months old and is eating 3 meals a day and is on stage 2 foods. We give him cereal or a fruit (or combo) for breakfast, vegetable for lunch, and a dinner (turkey with sweet potatoes or mac n cheese with veggies, etc.) Hope this helps, message me if you have any questions... I can try to send you a copy of the handout if you want it.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My doctor had us go a bit slower than gwood's doctor did. She said to do this, starting at 5.5 months:

1. For 2-3 weeks to start out, give him rice cereal or oatmeal 1-2x per day for 1-2 weeks.

2. Then Stage 1 food from 6-7 months, 1-2 meals per day, each different item being offered for 4 days before offering the next different item. 

3.  At 7-8 months, go to Stage 2 foods and go to 2-3 meals per day. Meats can be included after 7 months.

4.  From 8-9 months do Stage 3 foods and feed 3 meals per day.  You can use the Gerber Graduates melting foods at this point, too. (She said that. I don't like them so won't be using them)

5.  9 months - start introducing table foods.

Throughout this, stay on 18-22 oz formula/breastmilk per day.

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:08 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• you will get a lot of conflicting info on this one!! i started cole out on baby food, at 4 mos old. you do what you want, but this was how i introduced it to him, and he is by no means a picky eater now... 25 lbs/30" tall!!
    also, once a day is fine until they get used to it. AND: MO: start on the veggies first. and only vegies for a while. once they get fruit, they harldy eat vegies anymore..
    i would get the gerber stage one jars ( ittybitty ones) make his bottle, and put in 2 spoon fulls of the food (baby spoon) and let him get used to the flavor. then i start him on spoon feeding once a day about 1/2 a jar. this really justs let him learn how to eat with a spoon. MESSY!!! then gradually increase the intake. they really get no nutrition from this, they are just learning how. msg me if you have more questions...
    MONHOLLENMOM

Answer by MONHOLLENMOM at 2:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• i started my daughter on solids twice a day but she was getting "backed up" so now i just give it to her at night with her cereal and she is fine.
    blueeyes71883

Answer by blueeyes71883 at 12:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2008