Do you think that violent video games will have a lasting harm?

I got my son a fairly violent video game for christmas. I know it made him happy, but I'm still worried about it. He's thirteen. I forgot the name. I think I blocked it out.

MariaMcM

Asked by MariaMcM at 3:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Well, the debate on that rages on. The evidence shows that violent video games, and violent media of any kind, can create undesirable synapses in the brain. Me, I feel like even if there is a QUESTION, that is reason enough to leave something alone. I need proof that something does NOT cause harm, rather than proof that something DOES. It's called the Precautionary Principle, and I apply it regularly.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My husband has plays games like that and has since he could hold the controller and he is not a violent person at all....I wouldnt worry about it. People use games and what is on tv to blame their childs bad behavior on....as long as you teach them that it is just a game then its fine.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Nope. My kids have had them over the years and are fine.

Answer by gemgem at 4:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think it can if a child is unstable or mentally unstable in some way.. But for the average teenager... no. I think kids that are prone to violence, a game can enhance that.. My son is not unstable but he will imitate what he sees so no I wouldn't buy it for him.. He is too young but as a teen, maybe.. It will depend on him.. My oldest DD and I loved to play mortal kombat, she is not violent at all nor am I.

I have had a controller in my hand since the Atari came out :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• That greatly depends on the child themselves. Video games, music videos, movies, violent stories themselvs alone cannot cause anyone to spontaneously become violent. A child must have it in them to be a violent person. Whether it's triggered from a rough upbringing, lack of proper care in the home, being bullied, improper control of their anger, etc. A child doesn't suddenly become violent due to watching something or someone become violent. It must be triggered either from something or internally from birth. If your son isn't a violent person and doesn't have constant negative pressure building on him (from bullying, neglect, being abused, or being incapable of controlling anger) then he is very unlikely to be effected by the video games.

Many people do not understand that it is within us that causes our reactions, not things outside of us that causes them. Those are only triggers, not the cause themselves.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think it depends on the child. When my son was a teen he played dungeons and dragons and I was afraid they would ruin him...he's turned out to be an adult I'm proud of.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 5:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I don't like violent video games personally. I think it depends on the child and it can have lasting issues attatched to them. It also depends on the age of the child and how much they can understand
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 5:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I just don't understand why you would want to buy your 13 yo son a violent game. I've spent most of my time teaching my son (now 15) why violence is so wrong, even if it's just a game.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It depends on the child. My son is 14 and has been playing war type of violent games for years and he has no problems. If a child is taught the difference between fact and fiction and can understand the concept they will be ok. I know kids that have never played a violent videogame and have murdered people.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• No. My 42 year husband is an avid gamer. He's played all kinds of shoot em up games, admitted mostly fantasy. He's the most non violent person ever. Never hit anyone in his life. On the other hand I would never allow Grand Theft Auto in my house for either my husband or my sons. I refuse to see how violence to women is entertainment. Wanna kill Nazis and zombies, be my guest.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:44 PM on Jan. 29, 2011