I need dinner ideas. I'm leaning towards....

MEATLOAF!!
Only problem... NEVER COOKED IT BEFORE!!

I have been all over youtube, foodnetwork, allrecipes, google, and I cannot find a recipe that I am certain will be good.

Help!!

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 3:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Food & Drink

• i always eyeball everything and it tastes different overtime, plus the more i make it the better i get at it. here is my usual way:

in a bowl, mix the ground beef, breadcrumbs, 1 egg beaten, ketchup, seasonings(i add onion salt so i dont have to cut up onions, or even a package of lipton onion soup mix) put the mixture in the pan. and then i pour a sauce over which is basically:

about a cup of ketchup, 1/4 cup of mustard, and a tablespoon or so of brown sugar. im not sure if that's right, but the sauce is mostly ketchup. anyway pour that over and bake for about an hour.

sometimes i switch it up and instead of adding ketchup to the meat mixture, steaksauce or bbq sauce.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• it's pretty easy, get a pund of hamburger meat, on chopped up onion, about 2 cups of bread crumbs, 2 eggs, mustard and ketchup (idk how much i just squeeze it in there) and squish it all together, then put it in a baking dish until done (very east to do)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• excuse the typos i'm all jacked up on pain pills (prescribed i'm not a junkie lol)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Now when it's broken down like that... IT MAKES SENSE!! LoL
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I LOVE meatloaf. I've heard it takes awhile to perfect. I've made it a few times myself and it never comes out quite perfect, but I'm getting there. It still tastes great, it just doesn't always look right. Here's the recipe I use (my book was right here!):
    1 1/2 lbs ground beef (or around there)
    1/2 cups crushed Ritz
    3/4 shredded cheddar cheese
    1 pkg. dry onion soup mix (1 oz)
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/4 cup ketchup
    2 tbsp steak sauce (usually I use whatever BBQ-type sauce I have)
    Preheat your oven to 350. Stir the beef, Ritz, cheese, soup mix in a large bowl until it's all combined. Don't be afraid to use your hands! Whisk eggs, ketchup, sauce in another bowl until it's smooth. Mix the wet stuff into the meat until it's combined. Add water if it seems dry. Press it all into a 9x5" loaf pan. Bake it until it's no longer pink in the center... 45 mins to 1 hr.
    This recipe tastes SO good when it comes out!!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• @ tnm that sounds simple enough for me lol
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• if you don't have bread crumbs, I have used Grits, Cream of wheat, quick or intant oatmeal, any cracker or unsweetened cereal crumbs. all work. also a few slices of bread , soaked in milk them squeeze will work. You can add chopped green peppers if you like also shredded carrots. Sometimes I also mix in part veal and pork. I have also finished baking with ketchup on top. For best result forn it into a loaf and place it on a pan that has low sides and bake like that. sometimes when baking in a loaf pan it can be greasy. I have even made Meatloaf "cupcakes" frosted with mashed potatos and drizzled with brown gravey. Good luck and have fun with it!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 4:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• What I do is ...

One lb (Or more depending on who you're feeding) of hamburger. Thawed.
    Place in a large bowl. Add two eggs and a half cup of bread crumbs. Mix together until thoroughly mixed.
    Add seasoning. I like to add Paprika, Red Pepper Flakes, Oregeno, Garlic Powder, and Garlic. You can add whatever spices you think will be good.
    Preheat oven to 400. Place mixed meat in a oven safe casarole dish. Either a bread dish or mold the meat into a loaf and place in the center of a larger casarole dish. Cook for 30-40 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
    Placing the meat in the center of a larger dish will reduce the amount of liquids that surrounds the meat. Not Necissarily drying out the meat, but keeping it from becoming too soggy.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2011