Pricing your items

I would really like some insight on pricing, it is great to have a network of people who give their opinions. I have played with pricing before and it's just not something I have found I can do correctly, I usually under price.

How much would you pay for a dozen of these items???? (Thanks in advance, you gals don't know how much help you've been lately)

cupcakes
filled cupcakes
cookies
and last but not least cake balls.

kitchenwitch78

Asked by kitchenwitch78 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think it depends on the area you are in and what kind they are. The fanicier the item the more it would cost........like if it had expensive nuts, was made with organic ingredients, had a special frosting, etc. I would visit a couple of bakeries or call and ask what they charge (as an inquiring customer). And see what the prices are at the grocery store. I know they are mass produced but it still gives you info to add to your research. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Sorry, OT, but I must ask...what is a cake ball?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It's cake formed in a ball with various flavored icing, then dipped in chocolate or other coatings. I have over 100 different combinations... The best one though is called Pandora's Cake Bite, it's chocolate cake with peanut butter icing, dipped in melted peanut butter, then dipped in chocolate, and rolled in crushed nuts, or crushed Reese Cups... I do any flavor combinations. They are yummy.
    kitchenwitch78

Comment by kitchenwitch78 (original poster) at 5:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think you need to research the competition, and determine carefully what the competition is. The cake ball you described is definitely not high-end, so don't price yourself that way, but probably more labor-intensive and more impressive than any supermarket products, and many bakery ones, too. Try to find a bakery in the area that makes a similar quality of product, and carefully note the prices.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Wow that sounds super good. I think presentation is going to play a part in how much you charge for them though.
    Also make sure to figure out how much it costs to make them so that you'll know that you're making a profit.

Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 11:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2011