Reading in 1st grade and Kindergarten??!!???

My 7 year old who's in 1st grade got tested to see what level she was reading, and she scored a 3.2 (3rd grade 2 month level) She is way ahead of her class. My sister in law's son, is also in 1st grade and failed the test because he does not know how to read. She was informed by the school that she would either have to teach him how to read, or he may be held back a grade, because 2nd graders have to know how to read. Now she is upset saying that the kindergarten that he attended was suppose to teach him how to read...??? I would not know, because my daughter did not attend kindergarten, and was taught how to read, do math, and other things at home. She was actually reading and writing at the age of 4.
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't she suppose to be the one teaching her son as well??? Are you informed in kindergarten that you will be required to be able to read in 1st grade??? I really think it's her fault.

TamikaJovan

Asked by TamikaJovan at 4:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Parents need to teach their kids their colors, numbers, letters, and shapes and not rely on the school to do it all. Thats just pure laziness.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 4:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• my dd is 4 and can't read, i work with her but she is stubborn, i hope she will pay more attention to her teacher when she starts school
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• We all (teachers, parents) have to work together.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• where we live in texas, a child has to be able to read and write very basic sentences by the time they leave kinder i believe. my son is 3 and will start prek in aug.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It should be a joint effort! The mom should not just rely on a few hours at school to give her child every advantage. The teacher should also be putting forth more effort in helping the child and mom know how and what to do.

Congrats on your dd :) My son is in first grade and was just scored at a 3.7 level :) I have a degree in Education so I have read and taught him since he was born! Its my job to give him every advantage, I would NEVER just rely on teachers alone!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• That's what I was trying to tell her, in a not so pushy way. I am not one to tell people how to raise their children unless my opinion is asked. But when I heard he could not read, my mouth dropped to the floor. I can't believe she is actually pissed at the teachers...
    TamikaJovan

Comment by TamikaJovan (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Our school didn't inform us of anything like that. But my DD is in 2nd grade and was doing really well with reading last year and all of this year they have her reading the same type of stuff she did the beginning of kindergarten! She was sent home with chapter books as homework reading last year. This year they send a little piece of paper that has one or two very simple sentences on it for her homework. She hates it and calls it baby reading. I talked to her reading teacher and she said it's because that's the level the rest of the kids in her reading group are on and they are not going to change her to a different group! Grrr!!! So we do our own thing at home.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 4:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I wouldn't say that it is her fault. No doubt as parents it is our job to supplement what the kids are learning but they should be learning these basics at school. My daughters kindergarten class has reading groups once a day. They are broken up into the different levels that they are and there is a parent/teacher for about every 4 to 5 kids. It is not fully the parents responsibility to teach them these things. I have home schooled each of my little ones prek and for one that meant reading before actually being in school but my oldest did not learn as easily. She also learns and picks up things much better at school because they have many different way of teaching. Kids learn at different speeds. It is great when you have a 4 year old reading but it is not the norm.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• DigiScrapperMom: same with my daughter, she was upset that she was reading baby books. On the other hand as soon as she was tested she was given 3rd grade book, regardless of what the class was reading, unless it pertained to homework.
    TamikaJovan

Comment by TamikaJovan (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yea it should be a teacher parent working together to help kids learn. My daughter in kinder and is ahead of her class she can read level 1 -2 books by herself but i also read to my kids every night. So u cant blame the teacher or teh school cuz they "didnt teach" ur child
    teacher there to giud u and help u. so not to be mean but yea its kinda her fault for ot supporting or helping her son
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 28, 2011