am i the only one?

to be honest i dont spend that much time with my kids. my 3 yr old plays with toys or watches sprout and my daughter plays with her toys or is in her jump jump. i know its bad but i dnt know whats wrong with me. My mom never played with us when we were babies and i guess thats what im used to...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just start spending more time with them. You'll love it!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I have a full time job and work all day, so I try to spend as much time with my daughter as possible.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 4:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• well my mom wasn't really into playing or even just hanging-out with us either -- and I recall how that made me feel, so I go out of my way to play/read/cook with her -- and it's paying off! Unless you want them one day to NOT play with your grandchildren, maybe you should break the cycle? Just start small -- go into her/his room and sit down with them and interact on their level -- It will usually mean doing something silly, but kids are so easy -- they will be so excited to just know that you made the effort!! Good luck mom!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 4:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Honey, my kids entertain themselves for the most part, I'll paint my daughters nails or curl her hair, we work on homework together. My older sons don't want to much to do with dear old mom. My 6 year old is content to color, draw, or have me read to him at times..You don't have to entertain your child 24/7. It is more an individuals decision. I know mom's who go all out, and I know mom''s who really don't want to do stuff, they feel that children should entertain themselves. Don't worry about what other people do or think, just do what you feel is best. IMHO you could always just take a few minutes read them a book, or even sit with your daughter while she watches Sprout. They know you are their even though you aren't entertaining them. My husband and I get the biggest kick out of watching Little Bear.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• When we got older, my mom had to the tv on all the time. So, I know where you are coming from. But there are times when I don't spend much time. You just need to turn the tv off and say, "hey, let's play a game." Good luck, momma. You will be surprised at how much fun you can have. Also, the more time you spend with them, the more you can control what they learn. My 2 year old is able to recognize some of her ABC's. It's awesome. I know of lots of little things to play with.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 4:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• well i guess all people are different, my parents where always playing with me and my brothers and making sure we had the best time. i have a daughter now who is 3 and i do the same that my parents did, if u want to change and be more interactive with your children then go for it u will most def. love it
    mommy2destinee

Answer by mommy2destinee at 4:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It's not neccissarily bad as long as they know you love them and are there to protect them. However, it can be easily remedied by just simply spending more time with them. I have days where I let them play by themselves most of the day and other days where I'm right there on the floor with them most of the day. It's just a matter of getting down there with them and playing with them. You can excuse it away to any length that you feel comfortable, but there really isn't any need to. It's just a matter of changing the habit so that your kids get your attention and time as much as you can allow.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• When my kids were younger I was always playing with them. I loved it. My mother didn't play with us either and I just wanted to break the cycle. I read to my kids at night because I always wanted that as a child and never got it.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• If you want to do it different, watch what other Mom's do and make a few steps.
    Do thinks you enjoy....coloring, reading, playing with dolls and go from there.
    Being a Mommy isn't rocket science....go with your gut and just love em.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• No you're not alone.

Kudos to you and your kids!
    They can play by themselves and don't need an adult to entertain them 100% of their waking hours.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 29, 2011