Suggestions on breaking these habits

I have gotten my 3 week old in the habit of being held all the time and not being able to sleep unless she is in my arms or sleeping with me in bed. I want to break her of these two habits now before its too late. Any suggestions on how I can do this? I hate letting her cry makes me feel like a bad mommy.

MicaMommy2Be

Asked by MicaMommy2Be at 4:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's probably the only thing you can do is let her cry for 5 to 10 minute intervals.... good luck.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• From day one we always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same. Bath (at night), diaper change,  swaddling perhaps, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on or singing, cuddling/rocking/swaying.......not all these things but whatever works for you.  When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming her lungs out, but minor fussing. This is what worked for us. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies.  GL

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Awww, it's tough on mom to be the bed. :) By the way, it's also completely normal. You didn't form the habit - it's a natural inclination for many infants after spending all that time curled up in the womb. She wants to hear your heartbeat, be held, etc. But to your question - have you tried a sling or infant carrier that straps to your body? Honestly, your daughter is going to outgrow this "habit" even if you change nothing. You can 'wear' her which would free up your arms and let you accomplish tasks. Do you have a bouncy seat or swing? Something with a little movement to it. Have you tried putting her down when she's completely out cold? Wait until she's sleeping, and then place her down. If you can do the transfer without issue, start putting her down before she's deep asleep and work your way back until you can lay her down without fussing at all.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 4:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I have her asleep, and put her to sleep the same way every night. As soon as I lay her down though at the most 5 mins later she wakes up becase she's not with me,usually its instantly though. Maybe I'll try a bath before bed, I always feed her and change her diaper right before bed.
    MicaMommy2Be

Comment by MicaMommy2Be (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• There are ways to do this outside of letting her cry. You can swaddle her and lay her ontop of a shirt (Blanket, towel, something) that smells like you. You can also try using a swing that will rock her to sleep. You can as well try a womb sounds bear.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• i'll share something my doctor told me: you can't over-hold a child younger than 6 months. and in those first few months, i was loathe to put my baby down at all. even with all that, she never had any problems sleeping in her own bed once she was off night-time feedings. she has never slept in my bed, so even when she needed to be held to sleep it was in her room. don't worry about forming a bad habit by holding your 3w baby all the time. it'll be ok.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 5:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• your not a bad mom no such thing... but i wish i did it with my son now he is 2 and still sleeps with me... you can start by rocking her to sleep and then putting her in the crib i hear that it may take a few days and they will cry but will get use to it. GL
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 8:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I'm with JazzlikeMraz, and put something in the crib with your baby that smells like you............I didn't that with my youngest (a shirt), and it worked like a charm.....
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 2:36 AM on Jan. 30, 2011