How do I tell my husband that his son is starting to be annoying?

Don't get me wrong, his son is a great kid. The problem is this, I am a Pittsburgh fan (grew up in PA) while he and my husband are Browns fans. Because we have his son every weekend, he will follow me around saying as many negative things he can think of about Pittsburgh. Now, there's nothing wrong with friendly banter, but I've been hearing it every weekend since NFL season started and it's getting borderline annoying. I don't want to hurt the kids feelings, but I'd like him to give it a rest.
Any advice on how to handle this is GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks everyone!

MrsLooney

Asked by MrsLooney at 4:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• I understand where you're coming from my last boyfriend had a 6 year old son and the guy I've been dating lately has a 3 year old daughter; I get that you don't want to overstep your bounds or upset your husband or his son if the kid takes your words the wrong way. I think your best option is to simply explain to your husband that his son's remarks are starting to get on your nerves; explain that you didn't want to upset his son so you weren't sure how to explain that while some banter between opposing fans is all in fun but relentless negative remarks is too much. Perhaps the next time your step-son is making those remarks his father can explain to him that line between friendly competition and over doing it. I'm not a sports fan but I have plenty of pride in my hometown and it drives me nuts when people talk negatively about where I grew up. Good Luck.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 6:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Tell the kid that you get the point, but he can let it go. Just be honest.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Two more weekends and either you can gloat or he can. He does it because he knows it bothers you. Remember you are the adult just let it roll off.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Act like your his mom. Would you tell your DH your own kid is starting to get annoying, or would you tell your child to stop?
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I'd just say, Ok buddy.. it was fun but its starting to not be very fun.. you're quite the joker... you would make a good comedian one day... but this could be dropped
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• All of you sit down together and talk it over. Tell him you get it that he doesn't like the team but you are all in a family and friendly banter is fine, but more than that is not OK.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Can't u tell the kid nicely that he needs to chill out a bit...
    2ndtimearound4

Answer by 2ndtimearound4 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I disagree that you should have to "suck it up". If it were your kid, you'd feel okay telling him enough is enough, I don't think his should be any different. People tiptoe around "poor little children of divorce" WAY too much.
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 8:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• get to the point..
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Tell him you've heard that one already- or he sounds like a broken record- and afterall, WHO'S GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL?! -lol (Just imagine if he was a Packers fan- someone would have to move out on SB Sunday! -lol)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2011