Can vitamins turn poop black? I'd love responses.

My son's pediatrician said it's fine for him to take half of a childrens vitamin a day. I recently bought a new kind and today his poop is black. There is iron in them, 100% of the daily value, but he only takes half bc of his age (16 month). Do you think that may be what's causing it? I'm not sure how much iron would have to be ingested to cause this. My husband says to stop worrying and not to give him the vitamin and see what his poop looks like tomorrow. His Dr.'s office is closed and I don't want to call the on-call doctor if I'm worrying for nothing.

So, what do you think? Could it just be the vitamins, or should I worry that it's blood?

I should add, he's eating and acting totally fine.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 4:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• it's the iron in the vitamins...it's normal and will take some adjusting :) ya, I agree...don't let your hubby see that. lol!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My guess is it's the vitamins.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Iron does do this. Your husband seems to be a pretty smart man. Listen to him.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It is probably the vitamins. Prenatal vitamins turn my poop a dark color sometimes. Sorry tmi.
    Anonymous

• Iron will turn BMs black. I would guess it is the vitamins.. Is the vitamin one for toddlers or children.. It may be too much for his system..

Yes louise2, blood will also turn stool black. That is bleeding in the stomach or high in the intestines, lower GI bleed will still be red :)

Pepto can also turn stool black.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yes, Iron can change the color of stools.
    janeosborne

Answer by janeosborne at 5:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I agree, iron can do that. Make sure your son is getting plenty of water so he doesn't get constipated from them, either.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Your husband seems to be a pretty smart man. Listen to him. "

Oh god, I can't let him see this, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I always heard black poo was bloody poo. But I could be wrong. I would stop the vitamins. and watch him.

Answer by louise2 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yes Iron can
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2011