i went to the eye doctor and he told me i have...

astigmatism in my left eye and about 2 years ago another doc told me i had a lazy eye (left eye as well) so i let the doctor  know that and he said yes i had a little bit of lazy eye on my left eye and that was it he prescribe me a new pair of lenses but i was researching about lazy eye and usually its call amblyopia i think well i read that it could cause blindness if not treated none of the 2 doctors i saw mention anything about putting me in treatment  they just said oh yeah you have lazy eye and give me new glasses/contacts    what do you guys think?? 

doctors said i needed glasses since i was in 3rd grade but i started wearing them when i started my freshman year in high school

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Health

• Well, you shouldn't google medical questions. Slight lazy eye is often caused by the wrong eye prescriptions. If one eye can see better than the other, it would take over. Only in rare occasions could lazy eye cause blindness.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I have that in my left eye as well, I also use to have a slight lazy left eye and I never received treatment and I'm doing just fine. Sure my vision is poor in that eye but I wear glasses. I agree of you have concerns addresses them to a doctor and dont google it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• The new glasses will help fix the lazy eye. There really isn't a treatment for it. When I had one, I had to cover my "good" eye and make the "bad" eye focus correctly, that was the treatment along with glasses. An astigmatisim is something different. You should call your eye doctor and ask more questions, none of us are experts on this site.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My son had surgery to fix his. The ophthalmologist he sees said that using a patch doesn't work, research shows it doesn't. So, we did the surgery. He healed fast, did very well. Did you see an optometrist or an ophthalmologist?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I agree with Candi. Googling advice can be pretty scary sometimes. We sometimes read the worst case scenario and that might not be case with you. i would take your drs advice and just get new lenses. I think if they thought you would go blind because of this, they would have told you.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 8:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2011