bottle vs. breast weaning times.

Okay so I was about to answer a question about whether or not it was time to wean a 15 month old form the bottle. My first reaction was well, yeah! The kid is 15 months and should be drinking from a cup! Then it occurred to me how contradictory that was to my thoughts on weaning from the breast. If the question was Should I wean my 15 month old from the breast the answer would have been only if you and the baby are ready. When you think about the bottle and the breast have the same functions so why is there a general line drawn on when a bottle is no longer acceptable and when the breast is no longer acceptable so different. (At least for me) Anyone else know what I mean? Have any thoughts?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 4:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes I get it!! I was only able to bf for a few months with each child and I wanted them off that bottle as soon as they were 1! But there are woman whom are lucky enough to bf for years. This does not make since!!! I agree why do we feel the need to wean off the bottle but not the boob!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 4:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• great question btw!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• this is exactly why i feel either way a child should start to be weaned around 12-15 months. not because extended breastfeeding is "nasty" or anything like that, but for the same reasons bottle-fed babies should be weaned at that time. they should start drinking out of cups and stuff like that.
    tnm786

• This is why I think bf should stop at 12 months too.... If the kid is old enough to hold a cup no need for bottle or breast. Just my thoughts. I know there are billions of mom who will say you should bf until the kid is in school if you are both comfortable with it but I really don't see the need. At a year babies can eat all the same foods as we can so they are getting plenty of nutrition and bottles do rot babies teeth. I Guess that is where the difference lays maybe drinking from the breast doesn't rot babies teeth??/
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 5:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I know what you mean. I let mykids wean themselves off. I didn't think that what society thinks of normal or what you should do with your children is right. At least when it comes to somethings. When a child is ready for something let them let know when they are ready to leave the item behind. Now if they are on the bottle at 5 or something come one, let go already.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 5:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Tmn786, most nursing toddlers probably drink from a cup as well as nurse. By the time they are over a year, nursing would not be their only way of getting liquids anymore. That being said, other than bottles potentially causing more tooth decay if the child drinks a bottle as they fall asleep, there probably isn't a major reason to be off bottles at one year other, especially since a lot of sippy cups are pretty similar to bottles in form and function.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• because they dont have the same functions quite simply.. and older toddlers drinking from the bottle is bad for their jaw and speech development. Although I will want to start the weaning process when my dd turns 1 it wouldn't be bad for her to nurse longer, it would be if we were talking about a bottle
    Anonymous