Should I be concerned that my 21 month old son is still a little congested after 2 weeks of having a cold?

The runny nose is gone but when he coughs you can still hear mucus in his throat.

hap2bmom

Asked by hap2bmom at 7:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Kids' Health

• that's the thing with colds it's easier to get rid of the runny nose but the congestion is the hardest i just got over a cold myself and had the same problem I just kept taking cough meds. and it helped.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 7:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• It can take a while to clear things out. If he is playing happily and doesn't seem sick except for the cough, he's fine. Just keep running a humidifier in his room and make sure he gets plenty to drink. Those will help thin out the muck so his coughing will clear things out quicker.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• It could also be a sinus infection. My son was congested for several weeks before I took him in and was diagnosed with an infection. He was on antibiotics for about 10 days and then it cleared up.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I agree. It could be a sinus infection. My son had that same cold and ended up on antibiotics for a sinus infection. We also start an inhaler of albuteral during a cold.
    abbey11

Answer by abbey11 at 10:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2008