Curious about Breast Cancer and how to check for lumps in your breasts..

What do they feel like? Where abouts would they be? Are ALL lumps forms of cancer? My friend found out she has breast cancer and she had a passion party lastnight, even though she was full of khimo. it was fun but she was telling us about lumps and stuff. It got me curious cuz I have a lump near my nipple. its sensitive. Im confused..

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Health

• Self exam was explained to me as thinking of your breast as a pie cut into pieces and you want to feel each section of the pie for lumps. I was told to feel for a hard pea. Also feel the lymph nodes going up into your armpit. Lay on the bed or you might find it easier in the shower. Hold your arm up, bended, over your head. All lumps are not cancer. You might want to have a checkup if you have a tender lump. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Go see your doc. I had 2 lumps. I don't do the exams cause mine are just all lumpy, which is normal. I'm 35, and a doc I went to (military, we don't always see the same doc) wanted me to get a baseline mamo. 2 lumps showed up. I got an ultrasound. Was offered a biopsy, and told I was to get another mamo in 6 months. Or I could wait 6 months and get the biopsy. I said no to the biopsy cause I was afraid of the pain. A few days later my sis calls, she's got breast cancer and getting a double mastectomy. World meet crash. I'm in for the biopsy, which hurt like a mother. I should have been drugged. And, I was by myself.
    One turned out to be just a lump, one had these pesky cells that aren't cancerous, but can turn cancerous. Had surgery to remove them. That surgeon sent me to an oncologist to discuss 'risk reduction' which ended up being - I'm high risk. I'm getting the genetic testing, and if it's +, I can have a mastectomy cont
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• and my ovaries removed. And, if I want, I can go on Tomaxafin (sp??) now if I want. With the side affects, no, not now. I have enough problems. If my boobs grow anymore masses with those nasty cells, then maybe the drug. Not now. We, hubby went with me, left the office, and I had to go into the bathroom cause I was about to lose it. This was so NOT what I was expecting. What I was expecting was to be told to exercise, change my diet, yada yada.
    I couldn't even FEEL the lumps I had. Now, I have to go in for another mamo. The scab from one of the incisions just came off. The surgeon was a shit. I had the surgery in October. I'm nervous.
    If you feel a lump, go in to your doc. I hope it's nothing.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I also meant to say that you should have yearly checkups and mammograms
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• When I had a lump, the dr told me that if the lump hurt then it probably wasn't cancer. Mine didn't hurt. They did a needle biopsy and I hardly felt anything at all because they numbed it first. The surgeon who did it said that it was a fluid filled cyst and the biopsy needle drained it. But it was still there 6 months later so they did surgery. Mine was not cancer. But I don't care if they say that if it hurts it's probably not cancer, I say get it checked out anyway because you never know!
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 5:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My doctor found a lump in my breast two weeks ago.  She was not very concerned because she could move it, but she wasn't taking any chances, so I went for a mammogram and ultrasound.  I'm waiting to hear back from my doctor with the results. 

Breast lumps could be a lot of things that aren't dangerous but they always need to be checked out.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• not all lumps are cancerous, but you want to have your doctor check your breasts yearly.
    janeosborne

Answer by janeosborne at 5:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Have your doctor examine you
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2011