Christians Piercings and Tattoos

Does God approve of them? In general. I was raised in a sect of christianity where jewerlly in itself was sinful and unkosher foods were as well. We had to observe sabbath blah blah blah. I have my ears gauged befroe and tongue ring and allt hat stuff but took them out because I came back to God and thought he was angry with me. But I see so many christian now a days having tattoos and piercings so is it ok that I gauge my ears agian and get tattoos? Or are you pierced/tattooed christians just not listening to God's word. I mean what does it really say about such things?

I do not want to be a part of any denomination anymore, I was a part of a false one so all I want is to follow God's will.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it depends on your denom. I know there are denoms which don't approve of ANY jewelry or cosmetics and there are those where it all goes... The only scriptural reference I have ever heard which could even come close to discussing this kind of thing is the "your body is a temple" one (which I can't remember the actual scripture for at the moment), to which I have always said, even temples can be decorated...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I dont know if the Bible specifically says anything about that- that's a question for your clergy. But there are a lot of people out there who do have tattoos/piercings that go on to do good things in their lives. I think God allows for free will & being free to express ourselves, but expects the best from us as people. To be kind & helpful to others matters more than a visit to the tattoo parlor. (IMO)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Nope! Sounds like people in my current Church and my the church I went to back in CA. My friend who went to the CA one with my has 1 sleeve, multiple other tats, I don't know what it's called, but the piercings up by the eybrows (not eyebrow piercings though). I also have 2 tattoos. Remember that we are in this world but not of it. It's ok to "blend in" and to be unique. It what makes us all special and it also provides each of us with speciic ministries and groups of people we can easily witness to. Don't feel bad about them. God's interested in your soul and spirit, not your body :) This may or may not relate to this but it may so I'll post it. There's a saying that goes "I am a spirit, I live in a body, and I have a soul." I hope that helps :) I don't know where you live but if you're in S. Texas you're welcome to come to our church w/o having to feel awkward. We are welcoming and accepting :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 5:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I am with Sabrina on this one. My ears are pierced in 4 places each, I have a hood ornament piercing and a tattoo on my back. This in no way affects my morals or my beliefs. I have God in my heart and in my life. My Daddy is a minister. And, neither of us has any doubt that I am a good person.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I don't know but I know a girl who has a Jesus fish tattooed on her ankle. I always found that sort of odd.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 5:12 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• God doesn't care about the outside package, just the inside.

MAN (aka your local church) on the other hand DOES care and will judge you and tell you that you are not worthy since you have them.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I know people have quoted scriptures about tattoos and piercings, but I was raised Greek Orthodox and neither is frowned upon in our church (to my knowledge, I see them every place in church)
    I think again, its the confusion between God's intent and interpretation by man of God's intent.
    I think SpiritedWitch nailed it with the inside vs. the outside analogy
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• First of all I want to let you know that God loves you and loved you even during your season away from Him.
    This is the thing.. your relationship with God will look different than someone elses relationship with Him. So what he tells someone to do He may tell someone else not to do. He meets them where they are at. So what you do is ultimately between you and God and its a very good idea not to compare your walk with another persons walk. That can cause a person to stumble. The bible clearly states what is sin and what is not. I have no problems with others piercing or tattooing as long as its tasteful and honoring God. The key is to keep your eyes on Him and follow Him and He will let you know what you can and cannot do. Remember the OT is before Christ went to the Cross and redeemed ALL things!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I don't think God cares, to be honest. I agree about the whole caring more about the inside than the package, and as long as you're not completely mutilating yourself (in terms of actually HARMING your body) I don't think there's an issue. I think He'd be more concerned about us taking care of our bodies (being healthy, etc) than He would about whether or not we decorate them.... ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Well I don't think there's anything wrong with it and I've been a Christian since I was 9 years old. Your body is a temple I think is supposed to be about taking care of your health. Ppl back in the Bible days wore makeup and perfume and jewelry. There was even a woman who washed Jesus' feet with her hair and perfume and Jesus doesn't do ANYTHING that is sinful.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 6:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2011