Women and Politics

Women and Politics. When Hillary ran for office, she had 18,000,000 voters behind her. Now she is a nice looking woman and she smiles alot and slings mud with the best of them but she does have that stoic southern attitude which makes her seem a bit cold. Obama gets the democratic nod and Hillary is on the back burner. John McCain then picks Sarah as his running mate. Now, she is nice looking, down home, a mom, has a special needs child, has been in politics, is the Governor of Alaska, and is alot like the women I have met on here. Yet, she gets trashed, bashed, hated, and down right disrespected. The question is, was Sarah just too much for us, as women, to think of in the White House because she is not like a Good Ole Boy? What happened to all the women who were for women's rights and the women's activists when it came down to a woman in a powerful position?

foreverb3

Asked by foreverb3 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm afraid that I don't understand what you're talking about. Your title should be Hillary Clinton vs. Sarah Palin, and as for them versing each other, their "policies" are what people have a problem with and the way they present themselves in front of the press and when answering important questions. I think these are why one would get "bashed" over another, and no I'm not bashing either person, just stating that these would be to me the more logical reason for disliking one over the other and is something that I myself have based my opinions on... policies and professional conduct (which has nothing to do with being male or female).

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 7:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Sarah scared liberals. She practiced what she preached and they weren't used to seeing that.
    Anonymous

• Palin made way to many critical errors. People have a hard time because she is extremely conservative. She scared liberals and conservatives because she didn't seem to have a wide range of understanding.

I think Clinton was another case. If I lost the Democratic convention, I would want to stay out of the public eye for awhile. Just to get over the loss privately. She will be back.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 7:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I swear I think it was because Sarah is pretty and women didn't want their men voting for a pretty woman, or having an excuse to have a picture of the vice-president in the office--after all, how could someone object to a political picture... so no way. no Sarah. Pure petty jealousy!
    Anonymous

• Sarah Palin and Hilary Clinton are two very different women. One is liberal, one is conservative. One was fit to run a nation the other had a lot to learn and was not ready to be 2nd in command. The media attacked the one who had a lot to learn.
    Anonymous

• The difference in reponse towards Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin wasn't based on their personalities or lifestyle choices. It came down to their political outlooks and their campaign issues; which were complete oppsites of each other!! Naturally the women supporting Hillary Clinton would be opposed to Palin because she did not repserent their values and beliefs.

I'm all for women's rights, but I also have liberal political views which Sarah Plain stands in opposition to.

I also felt that Palin was a poor representative for us women. She came across as uniformed and unprepared. If women are going to "break the glass ceiling" in the world of politics, we need to send in an intellegent, well-spoken, prepared woman to represent us.
    mum2gr8byz

Answer by mum2gr8byz at 7:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• it's one thing to be a woman and have society tell you how you are supposed to look.
    and then society tell you how your children are supposed to look and behave.
    and then a woman enters politics with cold hearted men and she is supposed to be able to survive or get out. when they survive they get labeled a b*tch, like hillary did.
    so sarah arrives, still young and great looking, great shape, a nice looking family, and successfull, nobody knew how to accept a woman that managed to achieve it all without turning b*tchy and still doing it all in high heels and carrying a baby around.
    JumpingHoops

Answer by JumpingHoops at 8:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Hmmm. I don't "bash" Sarah Palin....I was overall unimpressed with how she handled her first two interviews with Katie Couric and Charlie Gibson. My theory is you need to talk the walk...she was unprepared for these interviews and it showed. I would have studied as if was the biggest test I had ever taken. You should know what the BUSH DOCTRINE Is especially if your republican. I don't think she even "picked up the book". This is why people think that she "isn't that bright". I was unimpressed also with her warmth and care toward her children...but that's not why I "judge" her, as a politician anyway. She is quite pretty, I'll give her that.
    I like Hillary, I don't think she should take the Secretary of State. I didn't like her healthcare plan either, I thought it would be to strict and drastic for Americans.
    TwocutiesMumma

Answer by TwocutiesMumma at 9:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Jealous of Sarah Palin?! Pah! Whatever!
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Just keep telling yourself that, and please, I will pay the RNC to bring her back in 2012.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2008