how can i get my 3 year old to stop putting his fingers in his mouth???

my son keeps putting his fingers in his mouth, and its creating a small rash around his mouth from all the saliva, also i don't want him to get sick...any ideas on how to get him to stop?? thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• None, sucking on his fingers is a coping skill and helps with comforting himself. He will stop when he is ready.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• What she said.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I just tell my boys to get there hand out of there mouth. They will do it again after 5 hrs
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 5:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• my 3 year old dd does the same thing when she is stressed out put some chapstick on and try to keep his hands clean
    Ladyrosa

Answer by Ladyrosa at 7:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• yeah treat the mouth/lips with chapstick several times a day and just let him outgrow it. If it really bothers you just remind him hands out when you see it, but be prepared to repeat the statement 100 times a day without anger or frustration.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Thanks for asking the question. I have the same problem.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My ds will be 3 in april and the reason why he does it is 1) he is teething or 2) he is just bored and finds it interesting I find him doing it a lot when he is watching tv sometimes or when he meets new children as weLl
    bnrsmom

Answer by bnrsmom at 10:55 PM on Jan. 29, 2011