A question about breastmilk

So I was just wondering, if you are breastfeeding your last child at the time you give birth to your newborn (ok not at the exact time but you know what I mean), would you produce colustrum for the new born or would it be milk suited to your older child?

Just wondering

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pregnancy does not mean your milk will dry up. It can change in taste, leading some kids to not want to nurse anymore. Your supply may go down, it may not. Your milk adjusts to suit the youngest child nursing, colostrum will still come and you can continue to nurse both if you want to. It all depends on you and what your body does!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It dries up some of the time, sometimes it doesn't though. When it doesn't, the milk always changes to suit the youngest child. So, there will be colostrum after birth, then milk geared towards a newborn, infant, etc...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Colostrum. MOST of the time, you supply drops, or dries up completely when pregnant, but even if it doesn't, it changes to colostrum sometimes prior to delivery, or right after delivery.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• From Kellymom.com

http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/16milkchanges.html

Yes. The changeover between mature milk and colostrum production begins, on average, between the 4th and 8th month of pregnancy, but some mothers start producing colostrum somewhat earlier than that. Many mothers who nurse through pregnancy have noted that their milk contains mostly colostrum during the last month before baby is born. You will continue to produce colostrum throughout the latter part of your pregnancy - your older nursling cannot "use it up."
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Good question. I have read a LOT of tandem breastfeeding threads but I don't think this has ever come up.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 5:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• oh really momofone? I've never heard that before, interesting. I guess that would make sense though, the body always has a way of sorting itself out lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• i'm pretty positive your milk dries up when you become pregnant...it's supposed to anyway
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2011