Are you tipping your mail carrier/garbage man this holiday season?

Are you tipping your mail man/garabage man this holiday season? Are you giving a gift or tipping cash? If cash, how much?

mum2gr8byz

Asked by mum2gr8byz at 7:30 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Money & Work

• I think I'll do a little gift. I feel like I really owe the UPS guy something. He's always running packages out to me.
    bizlady

Answer by bizlady at 7:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My garbage is collected too far from my house for me to leave a tip out in the open where anyone could take it, so no for them. But yes for my mailman- probably $20, and yes for the UPS and Fedex men, about $10. Yes for my hairdresser, and I think that is all.

Answer by Bmat at 7:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• This is our first holiday season living in a house (we were always in apartments before) so I am unpracticed at this :) I was considering gifts instead of cash becuase I figured they are less likely to be stolen! But I don't want to offend or irritate them :)
    mum2gr8byz

Answer by mum2gr8byz at 7:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• no, what for he makes great money as it is! sorry I'm a cheap scrooge.
    Anonymous

• Hey Anon 8:02, you're not the only one!! I would possibly consider tipping should my garbage man consistantly pick up the garbage. (It changes each week, leaving me to ocassionally miss his pickup because he comes earlier than expected. Sometimes he doesn't even pick up and I can't reach him and have to wait for the next week) And don't even get me started on the mailman. He is a rude, ignorant, %^($ who's always got his earbud in his ear and is talking on the phone. My son heard him drop the F bomb while delivering our mail a few days ago, so the only tip he is going to get is to clean up his mouth, before I report him.
    chickadee8654

Answer by chickadee8654 at 8:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Bmat- I hope you always tip your hairdresser, not just on christmas!
    Anyway, I have never tipped the mail man. (I won't the garbage man because you don't know if it's the same people every week). How do you tip the mailman? Leave a card or envelope made out to him on the mailbox?
    Anonymous

• I was thinking of leaving my letter carrier a copy of "Learn to Read" since he has such an apparent difficulty with it.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:35 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• No... I don't do any of that... They all make better money than us to start with why would I tip them?? Maybe if the mail man gets the mail in the right box and the garbage men stop throwing garbage on the street and leaving it there I'll think about it. But seriously why would you tip?

And as far as the hair dresser comment... I haven't been to one if 6 or 7 years but I've never heard of tipping them. My Aunt has her own shop and I'm rather good friends with another. I've still never heard of tipping them!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:56 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• wow! it sounds like we must have a really good mail carrier and garbage guy!!! Ours are always on time, clean, friendly...the mail man whistles while he drives and waves at my boys each afternoon as he drives passed our yard!! I didn't realize we had it so good :)
    mum2gr8byz

Answer by mum2gr8byz at 1:09 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Oh wow. I've never heard of anyone tipping the mail or garbage men! I say thank you though if I happen to catch him pulling up though :-)
    Anonymous