Why is weight so easy to gain, but so hard to lose?

I am working on my weight and boy is it no fun and hard work. I am not looking to be thin just a healthy weight (I should lose 60-70 lbs) but I just look ahead and see the long road ahead, it is discouraging.

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Health

• well here are some encouraging thoughts for you.
    when you start a diet/exercise regime you generally lose weight fast in the beginning and that gives you a sense of pride and accomplishment. if you are planning on losing weight by adopting a healthy diet and moderate (daily) exercise, these things will become second nature in less time than you think. i counted calories and did moderate exercise, and the weight came off quickly, but more importantly when i was oficially 'done', i was able to keep the weight off because the healthy eating choices and exercise became part of my daily life and were my first choice. it was a whole change of life for me physically and mentally. i sincerely hope that you find this to be true too! i know it can be hard (hey, i lost 125 lbs!), but the sense of pride and self-esteem you have at the end are well worth the price! gl!!!!!!!!!!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Isn't that the truth...I'm right there with you momma.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I wonder that too! It is so hard. I need to lose the same amount you do.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 5:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Cause gaining it is fun!
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• it's easy to gain because you lose track. gain 5 lbs, it's not big deal, then another 5, then another 5. it ads up and takes over. the first step you have to take is saying no to garbage. the second is welcoming a healthy diet along with a good multivitamin, the third is being willing to literally work your butt off. you can do it. it is a long road. but the life you'll be able to live when you're healthy is completely worth it
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It's especially hard to lose once you get older.
    julie60

Answer by julie60 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Its so hard because we always have to eat. Its not like you can just decide to quit eating. I suggest Weight Watchers. I was on it last summer and lost 20lbs in 2 months. I'm on it again and have lost 5.5lbs in 2 weeks. You can still eat a hamburger if you want but it will take up most of the points for the day so maybe you'll decide to have a salad instead. It teaches you about making better choices in what you do eat, and teaches you about serving size or portion control.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It's in the way your diet is. It's what you eat.
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 8:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It seems that way. I guess we have to be aware of everything we eat.
    free1

Answer by free1 at 10:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I have no clue. I was in a accident a year ago. I have had horrific pain since and cant walk alot or climb stairs, I gained close to 20 lbs in the year and cant loose it. / dont eat much and I eat healthy.
    I am at a a loss if you figure it out message me as wel please!
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2011