Most effective form of discipline for an eight and ten year old.

My son (10) is autistic and hates it when I take away his story time. That is the worst I can do to him. My daughter(8) it seems like there is no form of effective discipline.

Baby4us09

Asked by Baby4us09 at 5:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• All children have "cash." Maybe a tv show or computer time, whatever they love. And its different for all of them. For my son, all I need to say, is do you want to lose your phone for a week, and the behavior immediately changes, of course he is 13. My daughter, if I mention that she can lose her craft materials, the instant change is miraculous!
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think it's different for every child - for my 14 yr old - grounding her from her phone, the computer or her ipod works like magic... for my 9 yr old, writing her spelling words extra times or doing chores is best - for my 5 yr old, no tv or time out is best and my 2 yr old is just crazy lol we usually do timeout with her
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 5:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Each child has a "currency" which is THE most important thing to them. We used to take that away for an appropriate length of time as punishment. It won't necessarily be a toy. My youngest used to LOVE watching the trash truck. So, occasionally we would say he would not be allowed to watch it. Zero in on what makes her tick. Be Consistent!! Don't threaten something unless you really will do it. Like saying "you will never watch TV again". That is unrealistic and not something you can follow through on. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I have an 8 year old he loves playing the wii& watch tv he is only allowed to play it 3 days a week or he will play the wii 24/7 , we try to encourge him to do other things like play in the yard, legos ,or something. Kids have way to much way to early, we try to watch that alot.
    If he gets in trouble he will get that taken away or we make him write.We try to find something he will not like and depends on what he does to.He still gets popped here and there not much usually when he gets an attuide.
    IloveJesus316

Answer by IloveJesus316 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2011