Ugh, my daughter turned 2 on the 16th and still uses a binky at night to sleep and to take naps. She is developmentally delayed but I feel like ppl are going to look at me as a bad mom. Any ideas?

fallnangel61502

Asked by fallnangel61502 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First off don't worry about what others think. I don't really know how to get rid of the binky except just to take it away. My son is 15 months old and he still uses his.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 5:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• If it is only in bed then I don't see how anyone would know. ;0) My son is 6 and still sucks his thumb at night. I don't think anyone has ever seen him suck his thumb except us and grandparents.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• No. You are NOT a bad Mom. I know plenty of kids that have a paci for a long time and they dont have any delays. Im not sure what your childs issues are but they have nothing to do with a paci. If you want her to get over the habit then make it fun and to what she can understand. I saw an episode of Supernanny and she had the youngest dd put her paci in an envelope for" the babies that need it" . The next morning the girl saw confetti and a letter in her mailbox thanking her for being such a big girl and helping the babies that need her pacis. Try something that she will understand. GL!

PS...and when I say plenty of kids....a lot of them are 4
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• i wouldnt look at you that way , let her have it , if it helps her sleep for comfort reasons.
    when you want her to stop using it all together try this , it worked for my son , cut just the tip off the binky , it feels different in their mouth and they wont want it anymore , if do want cut alittle more off the mouth end to open it up even more.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It's at bedtime, so no one should know. Anyway, f*ck the judgmental moms. They're not perfect, either, you just haven't figured out what less-than-perfect thing they do yet. I'm sure whatever it is, it will ruin their children for life!
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• You should never make decisions based on if someone will *think* your a bad mom..... because good moms make decisions based on their childs individual needs (and someone will always have something to say no matter what you do). If you think she's ready to stop using the paci then that's another story....
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• i wouldnt worry about it at all. my son was almost 3 before we were able to get him off it ad he had it in his mouth ever minute he wasnt eating. one day he just dropped it and never picked it up again. dont worry about wht others think do what is best for you and your child. if its only at sleep times youre on a good start let her do it naturally if it comforts her.
    aschwarz06

Answer by aschwarz06 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• You should do what's best for your child and not care about anything but that.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 6:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Our friends' kids used pacifiers until they were three. Relax and do what is comfortable for you.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My kid was 2 when I took her's away. In 1 wk she was broke from it. This is what I done. I took it away 4 good. I didnt let her have it @ all. For a month I kept her away from anyone that still used 1. But my kid is so easy going. I potty trained her in 1 month. Peeing & pooping. She broke herself from the bottle @ 6 months.
    ArmywifeNatasha

Answer by ArmywifeNatasha at 7:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2011