birthing classes??

Would you recommend spending the money to attend birthing classes? My husband seems to think that it is a necessity since it is our first child, but I don't really want to go. I keep telling him nature will take over! :) I have read all the books, searched on the internet and educated myself so I don't think I will freak out when the time comes. Just want some opinions on whether it would be beneficial to attend.

JD08

Asked by JD08 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i didnt go my first tiem but i may go this time .. some hospitals do them for free ...
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 7:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I did the same the first time... read a ton and researched a ton. Went to a class too and felt it waste of time. If you have to spend a lot of money, I wouldn't.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 7:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I have three and never went with any of them.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 7:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I did hypnobirthing and am SO glad I did. I suddenly developed pre eclampsia my last week and had to have my labor started. My midwives said as long as I kept my blood pressure down, I could avoid a c-section. They did say I would have to have an epidural because labor naturally raises blood pressure. But because I was able to keep myself relaxed I didn't even have to have an epidural. I actually lowered my blood pressure.

Hypnobirthing also was very helpful in understanding the natural things our bodies do during labor. Like the hormones we produce to help us relax and have a pain free labor. I thought it was very interesting that an epidural actually turns these hormones off.

jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 7:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Just trying to make my decision seem right. Plus, I keep telling hubby that they will tell you what to do in the hospital. Like when to push, when not to, how to breath. I kinda think he wants to go so he knows what to expect, that is my opinion. Plus the classes at the hospital that I am delivering at are $180.00, I could buy some diapers with that!
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 7:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I would really recommend hypnobirthing. I really believe I would have had an emergency c-section without the knowledge I learned. The classes at the hospital felt more like they taught women how to be good patience, not how to have a positive birth experience.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
    jcsscfam5

• I wouldn't recommend spending money on birthing classes. But I would recommend going to them. My husband and I went to the Babies R' Us birthing classes and they were free. We knew they were at Babies R' Us because we called our local hospital and signed up for them. We learned a lot from them! The hospitals also do these birthing classes for free or sometimes your doctor knows about them too and they are also free.
    ixadorexpink

Answer by ixadorexpink at 7:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I never took any classes with my first baby. I tried to stay away from reading too much. I got the gist of what was going to happen. My SO and I went into labor completely stupid to what was going to happen. lol I wanted it that way. Let me tell you I had NO problems what so ever. I instinctively knew how to push but the nurse helped me anyway and they also told my SO what he could do to help. I also had no problems telling when I was actually in labor. All these women keep asking how do I know the difference between BH and real labor? If you have to ask then it's just braxton hicks. I wouldn't pay money for classes but if free ones would make you feel better go for it.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 7:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I didn't. I think what actually helped me was watching all those "A baby story" and all the birth programs on discovering health.
    Anonymous

• We went to classes and I'm glad we did. While I don't think I learned anything, it was great for my confidence and fun to see so many people who were due at the same time as me (I ran into a couple while we were at the hospital with our baby, actually!). It's also nice if your husband hasn't been doing any research, in case he has to make the decisions. I believe knowledge is power, though, and wanted to be as informed as possible. It was only a couple weeks!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 8:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2008