i have a 13 year old daughter with several gallstones. is it dangerous?

Abigail F.

Asked by Abigail F. at 6:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Are they going to remove her gallbladder? I was told it can be bad if you let it go, the surgery takes longer and will be more complicated.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 6:12 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It can be dangerous but they can also be left alone for years without any issues. If she is already having gall bladder attacks you can see if a modified diet helps. Otherwise after reoccurring attacks it is a good idea to get it taken out because it could cause problems in other organs.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Addtl on my answer, I meant if you're having severe problems w/ your gallbladder. Some gallstones just pass normally and she would be fine. Just keep an eye on her diet. I had to have my gallbladder removed last year and luckily it went pretty well and the recovery didn't take long. Good luck
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 6:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Wow. That means she is eating a lot of fried and fatty foods. I had 4 gall stones and gallbladder removed in 2001, but I was in my 40's. It was triggered by a Father's Day bbq. The doctor told me until I could have the surgery to stay away from fatty foods because that would trigger the attacks. I was on a diet of grilled or roasted foods such as chicken breast and turkey. After they did the pathology report on the stones I went to the hospital and got them. One was the size of an egg. The doctor had never seen one that large.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:22 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• They can be dangerous and usually end up with a gall bladder removal.(unless they monitor them) Mine was so badly enlarged my doc back in the '90's ( in my 30s) said if I had not thrown up the blood, and the pain was so excruciating, it would have burst and would have killed me if I had not gone to the ER and kept thinking it was heartburn,etc. Mine was removed 7 days later and I was on a very strict diet up to that point of surgery in hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• You should have her gallbladder removed. It can become infected and then be very dangerous.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• YES!!! If they do not remove the infected gall bladder, everything can back up into your pancreas creating pancreatitis which can be FATAL!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:49 AM on Jan. 30, 2011