How can single mom change the teens eat will being on a tight budget

tinamarie1972

Asked by tinamarie1972 at 6:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Chicken and vegetables are a start. Frozen veggies are just as good as fresh and a lot cheaper. Stay away from junk food. Go for the sales. Those 100 calorie snack packs are good and usually 2 for 1..where i live anyway. Popcorn is also healthy and inexpensive
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• What specifically are you trying to change? Just asking so I can give further suggestions
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• No chips & pop for one. Also make sure any of the snacks you do buy do not have a ton of sugar and calories in them. I agree that popcorn is a great snack to have around. Lots of veggies is always good and make sure you buy lean meats if you are selecting lunch meats and things for lunche.s
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• ~*Hugs*~... first of all, Bless you for doing it alone!!! Second the Dollar store always has an isle where you can buy disposable, or re-usable containers... use those to make stuff they can pop in the oven or nuke!!! I doi this for those I love that need the added help? They are prepared by you, so everything is/should be healthy.... oh, and sneak ground flax seed into baked goods like muffins, cupcakes, bread, whatever??? Oh, and buy walnuts that can be put through a food processor (snag one free on Craigs List or freecycle if need be), and sneak those into baked goods... those hippie bins that you pay by the pound keep costs down! I can think of a ton of ways... but pre-prepare!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• By buying healthy snacks and no junk good. Watch proportion sizes, as well as motivate them.
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Dont buy any junk food! No temptations!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:12 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Here's a sample of what I bought to make this week. I bought groceries (breakfast, lunch and dinner) for 4 people for 7 days and a pack of diapers with 60 dollars this week.

I got stuff to make:
    ----Baked Honey Dijon Chicken, brussel sprouts, and baked potatoes
    ----Chicken Enchilada Casserole (low fat, whole grains, and protiens) with light sour cream
    ----Low fat chicken carbonara (whole grain pasta, low fat sauce, low sodium turkey bacon, frozen peas)
    ----Baked Lemon Pepper chicken, broccoli and baked potatoes (I got a 5 pound bag of potatoes for 1.40 so we're utilizing them)
    ----Skillet Chicken and Rice (brown rice, frozen veggies, soup, chicken and some spices)
    ----Pot of bean (pinto beans, turkey bacon, garlic and onion)
    ----Italian Chicken (low fat marinara sauce, chicken breast, a little mozarella and whole grain spaghetti)

miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• For breakfast I bought a healthy, whole grain cereal that we all like (HUGE BAG!!), low sodium turkey bacon and eggs to have throughout the week.

For lunch I bought a couple of bags of salad (some of the chicken will be grilled to go on top of it) and we plan to use left overs from a couple of nights. I also let the kids get small cheese pizza for them and I to share on Thursday as a special treat. We had it with a side of sald.

We don't always eat chicken every single day. I do buy ground turkey too. I also buy lean roasts (which can EASILY be made into two meal by using left over roast for a healthy stew), lean pork chops (occationally...I'm not a big pork fan), lean steaks and other cuts of meat when I can find them on sale!

I chose to use all chicken this week because of the meals I picked.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I usually buy a family pack of chicken breast from Wal-Mart which I get for 1.78 a pound (comes out to about 8-10 dollars a pack) and then I seperate it into freezer bags to use when I need it.

I also buy LOTS of frozen veggies which many nutrionist say are BETTER than fresh because unlike fresh they haven't been touched a million times, moved from place to place, getting bruised, etc. Frozen veggies are typically frozen within 8 hours of picking.

I also by multi bags of fruit so we have a variety without the expense.

If you want more info or meal ideas feel free to message me!!
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• eat healthy, use coupons, watch portion ssizes.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2011