Why are teens thinking about thier wieght when it comes to want the body of someone famous

tinamarie1972

Asked by tinamarie1972 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Because that is all that is thrown in our faces. It's all over tv, in magazines, on billboards, EVERYWHERE! All the focus is on what our bodies look like. Forget who we are inside. All the models and stars are getting plastic surgery and starving themselves. Reality shows about these celebs are all over the tv. Reality shows about weight loss. It's all a real shame. And makes it hard to teach our kids to accept and love who they are.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 6:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• This is nothing new. I graduated in 1983. So many girls had anorexia. It was common to puke in the bathrooms after lunch. We all wanted the perfect body.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• mompam, you're right that it's not new, but it is so much worse. It's all over the place and in their faces and even some moms who grew up feeling like this aren't able to teach their own daughters how to feel better about the body they have.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Because so many people are telling them that they are too fat or the media shows all these super skinny models, most of which really aren't...it is photoshopped.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Because its everywhere even if they aren't the type of person to follow the stars and compare themsleves to them they still have people they deal with in school. There's people who are skinnier that will complain how fat they are, and the kid will think well if she's fat then I must be huge. Luckily I never had this problem. I always had issues because I'm small in the breast area compared to everyone else I know, but I didn't let it get to my because I worked out every chance I got to make sure the rest of me looked good even if it was just to make myself feel better. If your daughter thinks she's fat there's a good chance she just needs to tone her muscles. Start working out with her this will be healthy for both of you and a time for y'all to talk. This is good advice for any mom!
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 9:50 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• It is ridiculous. My dd only wieghs 116 but she is constantly complaining about being fat. She is 5'7" and I think she looks great. But nothing I say matters.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:05 PM on Jan. 29, 2011