How many hours a day would you have to walk for it to make you loose weight?

peace013

Asked by peace013 at 6:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• You burn up 100 calories for each hour you walk

Answer by admckenzie at 6:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I am not sure there is sure what kind of answer you are looking for to this. Like if you want an actual math type answer, I don't have it for you. However, I can tell you that my doc told me to start walking at least 10 miles a week and once I began that, I began to loose weight. Then I began to cut back what I ate and I began to try to be healthier. Now I am jogging and I am loving it. I think any small step you make is a good one.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• You are supposed to walk 5 miles per day. The average person should take 10,000 steps per day (which is 2,000 steps in 1 mile). On my treadmill I burn 100 calories per 1 mile. If you walk 1 hour per day at a fast rate you can do 5 miles! That's what I have done, and it helped me lose weight! I run daily now, and I feel great!! I have lost a total of 70 lbs!! I also do portion control, and eat a lot more fruits and vegetables! Good luck!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I lost 8 lbs. walking 30 to 45 minutes a day and just thinking about what I was eating. I didn't go on a diet, I just tried to be more deliberate in my food choices and try to eat more fruit & veggies.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• "You burn up 100 calories for each hour you walk"

This isn't true. People burn calories at different rates. If you are really heavy, you will burn much more than 100 calories per hour, because your body is working extra hard to move. I walk for an hour every day, My calorie counter says i burn a lot more than 100 calories an hour. I also walk uphill a lot & i walk fast, which brings your heart beat up a lot more though.

If you walk an hour a day at a fast pace & watch what you eat, i can guarantee you will lose weight. If you're already pretty thin & only want to lose 5-10 lbs though, walking might not do the trick. You'd have to do something a little more challenging or walk a lot harder & faster to acheive ore burned calories.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Trust me, walking 6 miles in an hour versus a slower 2 miles in an hour you burn more calories. "You burn up 100 calories for each hour you walk" is not accurate. Heck doing 3 miles of the Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds videos burns roughly 300 calories and that's about 35 minutes!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• To answer the OP's question.....it depends on how fast you walk. With those WATP videos I do (mentioned above) I do either 3 or 4 miles everyday.....the workout takes between 35-45 minutes and I'm losing an average of about 2-3 pounds a week.

It takes burning 3500 more calories a week than you eat. So if you eat 1200 calories a week you need to burn 500 more than that, or 1700 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week!

If you walk at a faster, brisk pace, and pump your arms (power walk) you'll burn more calories than a slower paced walk. Find some up beat music you like. I prefer the videos because I keep the pace and the other moves help tone my arms, butt and thighs even more. I've lost 13 pounds this month!!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It depends on how fast you walk.
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I just started a walking class at school( i walk every where i go to if i don't take the bus) it's an hour long and i bought 3 pound weights to carry i was wondering if the hour a day would help
    peace013

Comment by peace013 (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It depends how fast you walk, and if you are going up hills & what not.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2011