Calling all military wifes/girlfriends.

How did u explain 2 ur toddler about daddy leaving 4 tour?

ArmywifeNatasha

Asked by ArmywifeNatasha at 7:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I haven't had to deal with thins yet. my hubby just got back from a 13 month tour three months ago and our daughter just turned 15 months. I have a friend who had a 2 year old during the deployment. She told her daughter daddy was at work and couldn't come home until all his work was done. She told her they could talk to daddy on the phone and see him on the computer but that he couldn't come home from work. The only problem she has was her daughter wanting to be able to call daddy and not understanding that daddy could only call them not the other way around.
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• That is so sad.
    ArmywifeNatasha

Comment by ArmywifeNatasha (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I always just said daddy is at the bad man place fighting the bad guys. They all did pretty well with it until after r&r. Then my 5 yo started tantrums. anyways, make sure he has skype, even if he doesnt get on that much, bc we would go type daddy a little note and send it to him. They knew that he would get it when he could. Its no walk in the park, but you can do it..I promise!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 7:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It is but all of us military wives have to deal with it at some time. You just have to get through it. it isn't easy not matter what you situation. GL! When is you spouse leaving?
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Our son was 2 when his dad was unexpectedly called back into the army for deployment. We explained that daddy had to go to work far away to fight the bad guys and protect everyone. I also showed him on a map where daddy was and where we are. He also knew that when the sun was up where we lived, the moon was with daddy and vice versa. What really helped him was having a daddy doll- https://www.daddydolls.com/. They also have suggestions on explaining and dealing with deployment for children on their website.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I wait till a couple weeks before he leaves and just say daddy needs to go away for a while. I keep pictures up and we keep up on email and my hubby also sent videos of him reading books to my kids. When he calls I let them hear his voice and talk to him. They cant really understand but keep him there in their heads till he comes back. Keep showing pictures and write each other,
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• My husband isnt leaving yet. I'm perparing myself & my daughter 4 it.
    ArmywifeNatasha

Comment by ArmywifeNatasha (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Its good to have a plan. I hope he doesn't go anytime soon : )
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 7:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• What we did, was explain to our daughter that daddy had to go away for a while. We made a paper chain, and everyday we would take one link off together, and it was one day closer to daddy coming home. She actually did very well!
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 8:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I cry everytime I read our guys answers.
    ArmywifeNatasha

Comment by ArmywifeNatasha (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2011