Car seat Question??

Has anyone used a regular convertible seat with a newborn instead of an infant seat? I'm trying to decide what I want to buy for our next baby... and I really hated lugging around the infant car seat, and was thinking about just carrying them in a sling or moby wrap (instead of the infant car seat), but I'm not sure if it would be that much easier to take a baby in and out of a convertible seat. I also have a 2 year old to keep in mind. Any input is appreciated!!

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, I did. I just couldn't see spending money on two, when one would work. I didn't find it a big deal. The babies just went into the stroller or sling.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Only thing I liked about the infant carseat was when they were asleep they could stay in there and attach to the stroller or shopping cart instead of waking them up
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• i did the convert and it worked out so well, saved so much money. but the infant car seat would let them stay asleep in there and attach to the stroller or shopping cart instead of waking them up, but your little one will get use to whatever you plan plus its hard trying to hold a two year old handle and hold on the the infant car seat plus bags ect
    Ladyrosa

Answer by Ladyrosa at 7:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Yep. We didn't have the money to buy two car seats and I planned on having them in the sling or Mai Tei when shopping etc. so we bought the convertible. My kids have only ever been in 2 car seats the convertible and around age 3 or so they move from that to a front facing 5 point harness that becomes a high back booster and then a backless booster. Generally if they were asleep in the car seat and I put them in the sling they would go right back to sleep.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• lol i used the convertable carseat for my second one. when we were at the store and she had fell asleep i would just take the whole carseat out and put it in the cart she slept through it and bro who was 17 months sat in the baskets seat and watch sissy
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 7:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I haven't but you can, depending. If your baby is very small at birth, s/he may not fit properly. Check into the Car Seat Safety group, I know some of the ladies there have used convertibles from birth, and can advise you on the seats that fit newborns best.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I've always done the infant car seat with the travel system, so it fits right into the stroller for easy on the go. Go out shopping and pop the infant carrier from the base straight into the stroller and off we go. Doesn't wake baby up or move baby too much.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• You don't have to lug around the infant carseat anymore then you would the convertible carseat. (Though I hope you wouldn't lug around the convertible one) Either way you can take the infant out and snuggle him in a sling and go. I think it should be more of a consideration of long term cost, space in the car, etc. That's all the help I have...
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I like the First Years True fit!
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I am in almost the same exact boat as you. I have a 5 yr old who is in a convertible carseat/ booster but Im probaby going to buy her one of those backless ones pretty soon.

I am severely torn on the infant carseat or convertible. I also want to use a Sling and moby wrap but my husband says he likes carrying the baby in the infant carseat!! urgh!!! So any help would be greatly appreciated and so far I've been pretty loyal to Graco, I love em.

Any advice/tips for me too pls??
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 4:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2011