Am I wrong for not potty training yet?

My daughter is 22 months old and I am 8 months pregnant. I have literally about 30 days between now and the time the next baby arrives, and people keep asking me why I haven't potty-trained my toddler yet. To me, 30 days does not feel like adequate time and I hardly want to deal with a partially-trained toddler and a newborn at the same time. I am willing to deal with two kids in diapers for a few months until things with the new baby settle down. To me, it feels like a more sensible decision to wait until DD is used to her new sister. I'm concerned she will lose her progress with the trauma of a new baby arriving!

Does my decision make sense, or am I really crazy for waiting? I'm tired of having to explain why she isn't potty trained yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You don't have to explain to anybody. It's your child. Do what's right for her and you.
    mwebb

Answer by mwebb at 7:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Thank you guys, you've made me feel better! DD is showing some signs of being ready, but definitely not enough to make me want to start training this early. I think I'll just say what I said to a woman at the mall earlier, "We're working on it". Haha it's a nice evasive answer.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 7:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• P.S. I'm not sure why I asked this question anonymously - I didn't mean to!
    aliceryannesmom

• Really she might be too young anyway. Most kids are not ready until at least 2. I was also expecting a baby with my 3yr old who was being as stubborn as ever to potty train and with the baby on the way it made no sense to fight with him about it. I let up until after the baby was born and started over. He is now trained. She's still young yet....there isn't any need to rush it.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Don't potty train her right now. Your going to be too tiered after the baby comes to keep up with it, and she has to adjust to a new baby. She will potty train some day. She will not wear diapers forever, so don't stress about it. My 2nd potty trained himself at 3 mo shy of his 3bday. it happend almost overnight, and there just wans't any stress to it. Do stress yourself out, or frustrat her for somthing that both of you are not ready to take on. Tell everyone eles to mind there own business.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the reassurance! I feel like potty training her right now is just asking for stress and trouble for both of us, so it's good to know I'm not crazy. :) Whew...now I just have to stock up on diapers in different sizes! Haha.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 8:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Even if you DD was miraculously fully potty trained tomorrow, more than likely she'd regress with the new arrival. Once you're comfy and in a routine with both children, you can re-evaluate the situation then. And if it feels right, go for it, and if not, tell people to BACK THE HECK OFF :-)
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 9:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• You need to do what works for the family and what you can handle. I waited until both of my kids were 3 years and 3 months and they were both potty trained in 3 days because they were ready.
    Roxanne0607

Answer by Roxanne0607 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• as long as your not ignoring signs she is ready, i say a little bit longer isnt a big deal as long as you dont mind... ur right, some young kids do often regress when a new baby comes and i dont blame your prego self :) for wanting to put in all that work then it get back tracked.... gl
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i did not start potty training until my son was 3, by then he wanted to and it came naturally. who cares what other people think, yeah they will gripe but tell them you want it to be an easy transistion for your daughter. I think giving her time to adjust to the baby is right, she will only regress after the babys born anyway.
    sweetsorrow2

Answer by sweetsorrow2 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 14, 2008