Why Bother Going To Work???

What is the point between last night and tonight? Why should I go to work when my hours got cut so much,it is not even enough to pay for gas money!!! I was thinking about calling off on those days where I don't even make enough to cover my gas money!!!! Next Tuesday they gave me 4 hours!!!! Wednesday they only gave me 5!!!! I got my hours cut but,my bills did not get reduced!!!! I am one of the best workers!!! I call and ask if I can start early and the manager says I'll call u back!! She never does!!! I was told in April I would be working 4 to 12 Tuesday through Saturday!!!! they all know i need 40 hours!!! That was the agreement!!! I need help!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank u all so much!!!!

dancer

Asked by dancer at 8:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• that sucks....I wouldnt want to go in if it wouldnt pay for my gas either.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Sometimes they give you fewer hours hoping you'll quit. I used to work for a place that played that game. Don't call in or they'll see a reason not to give you more hours - or a reason to fire you. I'd talk to your manager and explain that 40 hours had been agreed upon and you rely on that money to pay your bills and see what she says.
    Anonymous

• Businesses usually cut hours when the business gets cut. Maybe it's nothing to do with you but with the economy.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• The manager knows all that! the thing that makes me mad too is they r always complimenting my work!! I just don't get it!!!
    dancer

Comment by dancer (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Also they all know I am the only one working!!
    dancer

• What a bummer! Could you start looking for a new job?
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:01 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I could but I am trying to get enough hours here because I am carrying all of the insurance for my family. The thing that makes me mad is that I was guaranteed 40 hours every week!!!!
    dancer

Comment by dancer (original poster) at 12:54 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• i was a manager for a company for awhile and there could be a couple reasons for this. if there were problems they might cut ur hours in hopes that u would quit however if u r a good worker business may just be slow right now and they may not be able to pay u for the extra hours. sometimes even though it isnt right it does happen, a business has to go by how much retail they are selling from that debates the amount of workers they can afford to pay. i would talk to ur manager and be honest go in with a positive attitude and just be open with her explain ur situation and if u approach it the right way i dont see why she wouldnt be honest with u and maybe she will say that business is slow and u can either look for another job or get a part time to make some extra cash. i know it can be frusterating when u go in to talk to ur manager so that is y i say try to be very calm.
    sophiasmommy720

Answer by sophiasmommy720 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I know. But they all know my situation. My husbands company that he worked for for 23 years went out of business!!! I am the only one trying to support my family!!
    dancer

Comment by dancer (original poster) at 1:06 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• How is your job search going?

If your hours have been cut, you are probably eligible for some unemployment.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:58 PM on Jan. 29, 2011