When your child falls, what do you do?

I've always sat back and waited to see how my kids would react when they fall. I feel it teaches them to assess their own situation without my panic added to the mix.

What do you do when your child is hurt?

justplainjenni

Asked by justplainjenni at 8:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• omg ! with my 1st baby I would run & pretty much havea heartatack now with my second I clap & ask are you ok and shes fine no crying or anything... lol
    mommyof2chasmin

Answer by mommyof2chasmin at 8:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I wait and see how he reacts. If he looks at me not crying I typically respond you're fine, you need a hug? If he's getting ready to blow I run over and comfort. Usually I can tell by the sound of the fall if I need to react or not.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Nine out of ten times it it no big deal and I just say, "you're fine, jump up and brush it off" and that is what they do.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I think it all depends. My son is on everything, if he falls because he was doing something he was not to be doing. I pick him up and tell him that you should not have done that and that if you do it again its just going to hurt again
    momof20709

Answer by momof20709 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It's kind of funny but I sort of freeze in place and see how she will react first.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• run to the rescue and try not to freak out and ask if he want me to kiss his boo boo... and he always says yes kiss my boo boo
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 8:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I have boys...so there is no shortage of bumps and bruises! We always wait and see how they react. If they don't get upset, neither do we, and if they do...a bunch of kisses always seems to do the trick! :o)

My husband has taught them the fine art of "walk it off tough guy!" LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• yup, let them deal with it. If they are hurt I take care of the injury but I don't baby them when they fall

Answer by admckenzie at 8:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• sometimes i don't even look up. i just say "you're ok" and tell them to go play or whatever. sometimes my kids come and tell me they fell. i either ask if they're ok (which obviously they are) or say "welp, looks like you're fine so go do..." whatever it is they were doing. if there's bleeding i'll hurry to them to see how bad. then how i react depends on how bad it was.

lol, sometimes the kids freak if they get a small cut. my dh does this thing to make them better. he says "oh no! it looks like we have to do surgery!!" then he makes "tool" noises and pretends with invisible tools to cut it open, stitch it back together, and slap a bandaid on it. it always makes them feel better for some reason. i've no idea why. guess it's a daddy thing.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I wait to see how she reacts. If she falls on the concrete and bumps her head, for example, I will rush over to her to see if she is alright.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2011