Anyone have info about being induced? Kind of worried!

I'm 38 weeks and 2 days today. I haven't felt any contractions yet (that I'm aware of). My doctor said today that if I don't go into labor by 40 weeks they will schedule my induction before I hit the 41 week mark. I'm worried about being induced. Does it mean my labor will take a lot longer or be harder? Is it likely that I will go into labor on my own still even though I haven't felt any contractions?

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Why does he want to induce? I'd ask your doctor and if it's not a medical necessity, I would personally wait until labor started naturally.
    Anonymous

• yeah...they told me the same thing...i got up super early had my parent drive over an hour and my inlaws spent the night...it was all set up and when I got to the hospital they sent me home b/c they were too busy. well, I was all worked up about getting induced that I ended up going into labor on my own an hour later...I went back and said your gonna have to make room now! LOL! You never know what's gonna happen or when baby is going to come!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I was induced when I was 40 weeks on Jan 8. The first induction didn't work, I had labor pains all night but didn't progress. They induced me again the next night, and I had her Jan 10th at 12:56 pm. I was in a lot of pain until the morning of January 10th. They weren't able to give me much for the pain. And I think the disappointment of not having her after the first induction added to my stress and pain. I know plenty of ppl that have had no problems w/ induction tho. I will say after I had my epidural on the 10th, I felt no pain. I only had to push for 55 minutes and my delievery was easy. GL to you :)
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 8:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I didn't feel any contractions at all when I was pg. At 34 weeks though, I was already dialated to 4. At 38 weeks (still hadn't felt a thing) I went to the doc. was dialated to 5. That night I went into labor. And it came on fast! It could happen fast! And it can happen whenever.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I was induced at 6 am with my first and nothing happened. No conaction, no pain, no dialation (besides what I already was) finally at 6pm they decided to break my water and I had a beautiful baby girl 4 and a half hours later. It depends on the person.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Well with my last two pregnancies they induced labor. And I will just pray that things go like my second pregnancy. My daughter came 2 days before my scheduled induction. From my experience the contractions are ten times worse. Most of the time my contractions were off the chart. And then with my 3rd daughter I was in labor so long that when she finally did come the epidural wore off and it was too late to get another one. My son was also induced but things didn't go along as slow. The midwife was really good and things went along smoothly. But contractions were still really bad. Not to scare you but just preparing you. It kinda depends on the baby and the doctor I guess to see how fast things go along.

True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Risks don't increase for healthy women until 42 weeks. Doctors schedule inductions for 41 weeks for liability reasons, not because it's safer.

Induction does most definately make labor harder for many women. Some don't notice much of a difference, but I sure did. I had my first by induction and it was really hard. Short, but hard. I labored for 7 hours, 3 of it in really bad pain. My second I went into labor on my own, labored 16 hours, 20 minutes in pretty serious pain (but not anywhere near the pain I had with my first).

On top of that, induction carries it's own risks. Hemmorhage, blood pressure problems, ruptured uterus, tetanic contraction (a contraction that never ends until the baby is born), and induction doubles the risk of having a C-section, especially in first time moms.

Avoid it if you can at all, and get a new doctor, because this one is not practicing evidence based medicine.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I was induced with 2 of my 3 children. I will tell you that everyone is different so it is really hard to go by what we tell you. For me it wasn't that bad. I was in labor for about 5 hours with my first and about the same with my 3rd child. With my first I was very nervous because it was my first child and I was being induced. I was 4 centimeters when I went in and was induced, although I did not have any contractions that I was feeling. After 2 hours I did get the epidural and it made things easier and it didn't slow my labor down, 2 hours after getting my epidural I had a beautiful baby boy. With my 3rd child I was also induced and it wasn't that bad at all. I did this one without an epidural.

Just remember to try and relax.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I agree with cornflakegirl3. It's different for everyone. I was induced at 38 weeks because of high blood pressure. It wasn't too bad. I was in labor for about 8hrs.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• with my son i was scheduled an induction at exactly 40wks. but i went into labor on my own the night before. hopefully you'll go into labor on your own. GL!!
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2011